17|Good moments

We get home around 7:30 due to a quick stop at Ralphs where my mom lets us get the flavored water with no sugar, but still healthy and addicting.

After Vince and I shower and my mom starts boiling some Trader Joe's pasta Vince and I come together at the dining table  while Dani takes over the living room. She's sprawled out on the couch and watching some cartoon network show which in my opinion at 10 years old is too young for her.

Normally I would kick her to the side, but I just put a bottle of flavored water in the fridge so sitting at the table 2 feet away from the kitchen is the best way to protect it.

"You don't know how to wrap it?" Vince says as he plugs his charger into the outlet.

Across from me in his football sweats Vince gestures to the towel in my hand that is currently being used to catch the droplets from my braids. Despite my efforts it's clear the towel is useless as the back of my oversized red sweatshirt is damp giving my whole body a chill.

"It's hard with braids," I protest.

Vince condemns me with his eyes and eyebrows when I don't hesitate to wipe some droplets off of my seat. With a sigh Vince hops out of his seat and makes his way behind me. Without warning Vince grabs the lavender towel out of my hands releasing some ringlets of my hair water.

"Get up," he instructs and I follow his orders.

He grabs both sides of my face and positions my head to face the carpet that is catching a bit of water.

"What are you doing?" He puts all of my braids in front of my face and the next thing I know my head feels like someone has just placed a basket on it.

"Try not to move your head from side to side." Vince playfully slaps my cheek and wipes some water of my glasses like Ziyah would do.

"Thank you." Once again Vince has done something I've attempted many times perfectly on the first try, but with no water dripping from my head im not mad. I slowly sit back in my seat to Vince's eyes that are piercing through me.

"You know you're beautiful right?" He focuses his glare to a pleading stare like the one he had at the top of the stairs. Vince is obviously showing his good brother side that comes and goes, but mostly has been apparent due to him being in a happy relationship with Vicki.

"Umm thank you."

"Say it then."

"It." I snicker and Vince narrows his eyes at me.

"I'm beautiful," I state angrily.

With those three words Vince's goofy smile that I thought was only reserved for Vicki appears. Being that we're both moody teenagers who sometimes have to compete for attention we never really have as many heartfelt moments as we did in elementary school so I might as well make this one lasts.

"So no house parties tonight?" Vince immediately notices the excess of interest on my face. Truth is I kind of enjoyed that social outing, and have been hoping to have a second chance where I could possibly step out of my bubble more and have more fun.

"Nah next semester it's about focusing now and you know Jada ain't smoking so Vicki ain't coming," he shakes his head with a smirk.

I'm slightly disappointed, but good for Jada I'm glad she hasn't been filling up her lungs lately. 

"Oh well, you're going to be great at notre dame."

"I know." And there goes are heartfelt siblings moment. All he could've said was, "Really Daya thank you, I know they recruited me and I went to their campus but really I just don't feel it's the right choice." And I would've reassured him that he's an ass and he has 4 months to sign anyway.

Of course after hearing her two children bicker my mom stops paying attention to the boiling water and comes over to squeeze both of our cheeks which attracts the attention of Dani. My mom puts both of her hands on her cheeks, and she pretends she hates it, but really she loves the chance to be the baby of the house.

After we eat our pasta Vince goes into his room and my mom and Dani get their time together on the couch watching Living Single.

Before they could completely forget about us I give her some details about Friday, and she oddly feels disappointed that it ended in just a kiss on the cheek. Of Course I left out the leaning on his shoulders and almost kiss part just like I did with my dad.

It's 9:00, and the only light in our room is my bright phone screen. Like any other teen and probably Vince I'm trying not to fall to sleep, and instead waiting for a notification to pop up on Genius to tell me my song bio was accepted. Unlike other nights my phone buzzes, my notification is coming from my text messages.

Ziyah 5:00pm

Hey how's your Saturday going?

5:00? Right, the time I was too busy looking at Chase and Laia on top of the stairs to care about anything on my phone. Our last text was Friday night and basically just a goodnight, sweet dreams sort of thing, that I sent a good 15 minutes after his uber left.

Me 9:04pm

Good what about you?

I sit my phone back, and actually doze off into sleep until my phone buzzes again. It feels like I was out for 30 minutes, but my phone begs to disagree.

Ziyah 9:09pm

It's been chill

Me 9:12pm

Cool

Ziyah 9:14pm

Imma be honest Sofia sent that text saying I really really like you, but I do like you

Finally an answer for that text, I had a feeling it was Sofia, she always has this devious little smirk on her face like she just farted. Now the question is why he just likes me and doesn't really like me.

Me 9:15pm

The show You?

Ziyah 9:16pm

Nah that Netflix show weird. I like you Daya whatever your middle name Is Price.

Just because I believe I like him to, even though there were no sign of insects in my body when we went out I giggle a little and let the auntie voices in my head scream, "you go girl."

Me 9:18pm

I like you too, and it's True

Ziyah 9:19pm

Is that some kind of poem

Me 9;20pm

No that's my middle name True

Yes my full name is Daya True Price, meaning my initials are DTP. Down to punch, down to pull, down to push, down to puke. Really this was one of the factors that stopped me from liking Harper's brother Henry, whenever I pictured us getting married I was Daya Falims or DTF.

Ziyah 9:21pm

Ahh ok  that's a nice name

"Daya if you don't turn that phone off!" My mom shouts and my phone falls right on my glasses lenses. I really don't get how she can see the light from here, but it's not like this is a glorious mansion.

"Yeah what she said," Vince adds.

"You can go to sleep too!"  My mom adds

Me 9:23pm

Well I have to go sorry

Ziyah 9:24pm

It's ok, goodnight

Me 9:25pm

Goodnight

I'm not going to lie since he said he liked me, I kind of wanted to say sweet dreams like my dad does every night, but I'll save that for later down the road, if there is one. He likes me, I guess I like him, but really I'm just taking the advice from someone at church and living in the moment because with all honesty I have a feeling this thing between us isn't going to end where me or Sofia want it to.