44| New Braids

Kayla and I are the only ones in the salon giving Kayla the freedom to stream something instead of having to compromise. The other salon ladies love watching shows like Maury and The Jerry Springer show which I can't stand. Sometimes the show is interesting like when one kid belongs to the dad, but the other belongs to a sleazy bartender, but other than that I prefer binge worthy tv series that are a distraction and let the time fly.

Kayla and I settle on Scandal which I've watched before, but that was when I was in 8th grade and didn't know the things I do now. Kayla starts immediately on my braids and she's now opening up the second pack of hair. I'm watching Olivia Pope yell at the leader of the free world when I feel my phone buzz. Finally.

I pick up my phone from under the cutting cape and look at my screen.

Ziyah: Sorry I answered late, but it's ok and trust me you're the only person I want to talk to. A smile etches onto my face and I'm so invested in looking at the text I don't even notice Kayla giving me a look in the mirror. The only one? The last time I felt this special was when my 7th grade teacher was telling my class to be more like me.

"Aww is that him?" She asks while still focusing on plating my braids.

She's right behind me with a clear look on my phone so there is no point in lying. "Yes."

"Mhmm I'm not a snitch, but remember what your dad said yesterday?" She raises her eyebrows and her look has even more emphasis as her fingers move without stopping.

"Yes," I repeat this time with a sigh.

"Well i'm braiding and trying to catch a glimpse of this scandal episode so if you text him back I wouldn't notice." She gives me a wink and I switch my eyes back to my phone. My initial instinct is to ask him if I'm the one person he wants to talk to then why didn't he talk to me yesterday after our stare at lunch, but that seems pointless. He's texting me now and that's good enough.

Me: How is your weekend so far? That was the best I could come up while leaving the other events in the past, although I do want to get into that if he lets me in.

Ziyah: It was good I just left the Americana. I type and as I touch each letter I picture Ziyah in front of me playing with the braids that Kayla is nailing at the moment.

Me: I love malls during the holiday time, but the Grove is better than the Americana.

Ziyah: Ok you're adorable, but the grove doesn't have shit on The Americana. I try to shake off the smile on my face, but Kayla positions my head to stay straight.

Me: How?

Ziyah: The Americana has way more stores and another mall across the street.

Me: It's about quality not quantity, the grove has a family vibe and the farmers market

Ziyah: And that's exactly why the Americana is better, I don't want to go to a mall where there are a bunch of kids.

Me: I guess you have a point

Ziyah: I guess I do

Ziyah and I go back and forth for a little while longer before I decided to focus my attention back to Scandal. The good thoughts that Ziyah put in my head give me a smile that stays even when more of the salon ladies file in and begin talking loudly with their clients. They of course change the show to Maury, but I don't watch for long because Kayla finishes my knotless box braids. That moment when she turns me around so I can face the mirror a smile spreads across my face. Ok Daya you look good.