51| Meeting the Mom

I play with the ends of my floral dress while holding a bouquet of roses as my mom drives to Ziyah's house. We were going to eat at some boujee restaurant my mom chose, but Ziyah invited me to his house instead which gave me all kinds of nerves, but I said yes. To make this situation even better my mom has to work on one of her many publicists duties so she can only say a quick hi and goodbye. Thank the lord.

After I contemplate if my dress is too short or if I should've bought wine instead of flowers my mom parks her car. "We're here," she says.

I stop looking at my legs and turn to look out the window. Outside a big white house just a tad smaller than Harper's shines and glistens. Unlike Harper's house with her mom's B&W this house has a certain comforting vibe to it with a bright green lawn and garage. I step out of the car and my mom walks beside me to the bright red door. Unlike both of my apartments the doorbell rings and the sound is quite beautiful, but it gets interrupted by the sound of footsteps. I take a deep breathe and the door swings open to reveal someone I've already met.

"Daya! Yay you're here!" Sofia screams. She's in a big pink dress and baring her usual bright smile. My mom looks down at her in awe, and I know exactly what she's thinking. Ahh I remember when you were that age. "Daya is this your mommy? Wow you guys look alike!"

My mom sticks her hand out to Sofia. "Hi, what's your name sweetheart?"

"Sofia, some call me Sof." My mom does an impressed nod and my eyes wander around the greeting room for the reasons I'm here. Right on time a women's voice yells, "Sofia what did I tell you about opening the door!" Sofia does a little put and runs off.

Taking her place a beautiful smell of lavender is welcomed into the room. To match the beautiful scent a woman just a little taller than me walks in, in loose clothing with a fashionable headscarf. She has glowing skin with no makeup like Alicia Keys. I can clearly see where Ziyah gets his good looks from because she should be on the cover of Essence. She's so captivating she almost makes me forget Ziyah is trailing behind her. Key word being almost, because the sight of him brings my nerves down.

A big smile comes across the gorgeous woman's face and her eyes ignore my mom and widen at the sight of me.

"Oh my god you must be Daya, god you're a looker. Oh and you bought roses, my name is Rose," she shouts.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," I say.

"Oh its wonderful to meet you too baby." Rose or
Ziyah's mom brings me into a hug and takes the Roses from my hands. Her and Ziyah's attention now goes to my mom. My mom and Rose both introduce themselves and then my mom squeezes the hell out of Ziyah's hand before she gives me a kiss on the cheek and leaves.

I can't decide if my nerves have increased or decreased as Rose walks in between Ziyah and I leading us into a spacious dining room. It's modern with a glass table and big white seats that I hope my sloppy ass doesn't stain.

In two of the chairs sits Angela and Sofia with the same big smiles. Ziyah pulls a seat out for me and sits across from me as Rose sits right next to me.
We spend a good amount of time talking and I think Rose likes me, but I'm not completely sure. Ziyah's eyes are reassuring and quite comforting though, and my nerves are settled as Rose isn't badgering me with questions. Sofia's loud presence is also helping the whole scene. Satisfying my mid day stomach growls and my self esteem Rose says, "Now let's eat we need to get some meat on your bones!" She doesn't actually mean meat because she's a vegetarian, and we have spinach ravioli which isn't half bad.
When we're finished eating Ziyah finally steals some alone time with me as we move from the dinning room to the living room.
"Ma, will be right back," Ziyah says and intertwines my hand with his. I stare at my sneakers and Rose raises her eyebrows.