extrovert introvert

the texting didn't seem to stop once it started, there was just always something to talk about between the two. whether it was celeste's expressed interest in his music or his curiosity about her differing styles every day. she had a nice personality, she was funny, a little quirky sure, but she was an all-around good person.

he voiced his opinion on that, when they decided to go eat breakfast together at a local cafe. he didn't get to meet her little brother since he was at a friend's house, but the weather was nice, and there were more adults than people their age (which was probably because they didn't have school so there was no reason to be up).

celeste shook her head, laughing. not at him, but simply at what he had told her.

"if only you had seen me a couple years ago," she mused, "i wasn't always like this, you know. this me that you know now? didn't exist. i was a whole different person."

'oh,' he thought, 'this is progress.'

"tell me about it," he smiled kindly, tried not to show his excitement from her confession. despite wanting to learn more about her, he left room for a change of topic if she did not want to talk about it. 

but that was one of the things he was growing to like about celeste; she wasn't uncomfortable often and vocalized if something was bothering her. she could definitely spot his hesitation on certain things and always reassured him that it was fine, that he was not crossing the invisible line that was set by himself.

"i was punk," she explained, catching him off-guard, "through and through. got inta' fights at least three times a day, at least." she breathed out from her nose, running a hand through her hair, pushing her bangs back. "some stuff happened and i decided ta' clean myself up, in the process...i simply became just 'nother student that attended school. i became nobody."

'wallflower,' luka remembered the name of the painting nathaniel had made and hummed, taking a sip of his drink (hot chocolate, even on warmer days it was always a soothing beverage). "nathaniel named his painting of you wallflower, why?"

she pursed her lips and leaned back in her chair, her fingers fiddled with her straw, "that's how he sees me," she started, though she seemed to have trouble finding the correct words, he waited patiently for her to continue. "remember when you first saw me? you caught me observing...have ta' admit i was pretty embarrassed that you did."

luka remembered, of course he did. that was where all of this started.

"well," she continued, "wallflowers...can be called shy, though i'm not, really. i just don't feel comfortable around other people, i don't like having attention of me. it's what i am trying to avoid. usually...i have trouble talking to people because i don't know what to say. it's why i came off as i did when you found me, it's like...my defense mechanism."

he nodded his head to show that he understood what she was trying to convey which brought a small smile to her lips, her eyes scrunching in almost glee.

"usually wallflowers...are fake to their friends to hide that they're actually quiet. but i'm backwards. i show that i am quiet, to everyone, to hide that i'm boisterous and, well, a delinquent. but because i became to quiet, so introverted, keeping away from any type of contact...i became invisible. 

"you can tell anything to me because i'd never tell anyone since i tend to avoid people. even if you don't, i still hear. i have learned so many things no one else would ever know, simply because people don't pay attention to me. that day, when you caught me observing- that's just it, that's what it's like to be a wallflower. you see things, you keep quiet about them, and you understand. i would rather watch than be involved."

"that seems to be a major change from a delinquent punk who got into fights at least three times a day," luka teased, voice dripped with sarcasm. 

(maybe that would also explain the occasional change in her pronunciation. or as he called it; the twang.)

celeste scoffed, "like i said, fake. this docile exterior ya' see now is a stark contrast compared to how i'm constantly spittin' profanities at people in my head. though i am curious..." luka leaned forward just as she did, seeming to whisper something to him. "i can understand reasons easily, i think quickly and pride myself in solving. but i won't lie; i'm stumped."

her playful smile was wipe from her face, showing a more serious expression as confusion swam in her eyes. 

those violet eyes he noticed from the beginning. 

"why is it that you noticed me when no one else did?"

"you know, i've been asking myself the same thing."

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵