her beginning

funny how this story was only supposed to be like twelve chapters

‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

she delivered one last kick to her attacker's head, rendering him unconscious, and wiped the blood from her chin. she hissed at the jolt of pain that came from the accidental touch to her already sore cheek. she spit out the blood that began to pool in her mouth, it seemed it was coming from her gums. she was decked pretty hard when the first flew out of nowhere.

she surveyed the area.

bodies littered the ground, some groaned, and others simply unconscious. she sniffed before she began to step over and around them. while it was a common occurrence for her to wind up in a fight, she refused to treat anyone less than they are. that went against her morals.

"well, i'll be damned," a voiced called out from the end of the alley. she stopped in her tracks, looking up to meet the eyes of a male who definitely looked older than she. "don't think i've ever seen a kid beat up someone bigger than them...let alone a whole group. you got a name, kid?"

celeste eyed him warily. she couldn't tell if this guy wanted a fight or only curious to see a teenager beat up thugs in a dimly lit alley. "who's askin'?" she responded as she shifted to a defensive stance, ready to fight at any given moment. if this guy decided to try something, then she would be prepared.

"depends on who you ask," he shrugged, "family calls me my given name, but pretty much everyone else calls me big dog."

she felt her body become rigid, so tense that she needed to breathe carefully through her nose to relax her muscles. she knew that name; big dog. that was the name of the leader of the group she just fought. big dog was the rising figure head of the streets that she took to hanging around.

any runaway knew the names of those they shouldn't mess with, to avoid getting on their bad side, and she had apparently done exactly what she shouldn't have done.

"so, what?" she croaked. "ya gonna fight me, too?"

‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

big dog tilted his head, letting the question roll around in his head. the girl was smart, tough, and cautious. he could tell she was exhausted, had to be after beating some of his best men.she was young, definitely showed potential, and could probably use a push in the right direction. he might be able to give her the gentlest road to go on, but it would help her in the long run.

she was too young for a life like this.

he shook his head, "nah." he started to close the distance between them, "could use a tough kid like you, though. how old are you?" he watched her falter, her eyes narrowed as she probably ran different scenarios in her head. 

"use me for what?" she spat.

he grinned, "i need a right-hand." his reason was true, but he didn't necessarily need her to take the position. it would be inconvenient, having to train her for the responsibility of what came with the title. even when he only planned for it to be temporary. "someone to help me keeping everyone in line."

"i'm fourteen."

there was a pregnant pause as her words sunk in.

shit, okay, that was younger than he thought she was.

his eyes flicked to the bodies that were lying in heaps around them, then back to the girl's violet eyes. he felt his lips twitch, not bothering to stop the stretching, wide grin. this girl, however temporary it would me, was going to be his greatest masterpiece. 

his own little monster that he was going to build to rise to be the best of the best, only to come crashing down when she suffered the consequences of her decisions.

he only hoped she would realize it sooner rather than later, unlike him. no, he was far too late to fix what he has broken, but he try his best to make sure the kid didn't follow in his footsteps.

he held his right hand out, "so what do you say, kid?" he watched her mull it over, could practically read her thoughts of 'i don't have much going for me anyway,' before she finally scowled at him. he couldn't grin any wider when she slapped her hand in his, her grip was firm and confident.

"my name is celeste, not kid."

"whatever you say, kid."

‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵