rooted fear

the first time luka suggested introducing her to his group of friends, she shot the idea down immediately. outright refusing to even listen to his reasoning. 

each day he would bring the idea up, sometimes she would pause and actually think about it before she refused, and others she would hiss out her no.

then it finally came down to this. luka's patience was beginning to run thin.

"i'm supposed to be a wallflower, luka," she whined, "i can't have people knowing me."

"you can have friends and still be a wallflower," he argued back, hands on his hips, "i'm not asking you to share your whole life story, i want you to try blending in. i also happen to miss my other friends, but i don't want you to feel like i'm ditching you."

celeste stopped her tantrum for a moment to think. luka had a point, he wanted her to become acquainted with his friends so that he could hang out with bother her and his group. though it definitely benefits him more than it would celeste.

she does see where he is coming from with blending in, sure, but she doesn't need to blend in. she's fine as she is. she pursed her lips, glancing at her red-haired friend who watched the exchange with an amused smile.

"can nathaniel come?" 

"he's already friends with some of my group, he's just been waiting for you to agree."

celeste frowned, a guilt sinking in her chest at the new-found information. she sighed, crossing her arms and let her thoughts run some more.

what would be the worst-case-scenario that could happen if she decided to give this a go? not get along with any of them. dislike them. saying something that would make them dislike her (not that she cared about their opinions on her). 

get in a fight.

she bit her lip. it was always that possibility that stopped her from interacting with someone. don't let her actions fool you, she has a bad temper if the correct buttons were pushed. the fear that she would go back to old habits just because she was angry. fear that if she makes one wrong move, her family...her brother would be in danger again.

but luka wanted her to be there.

these past couple of weeks have been fun, she enjoyed the others company. it was also a change from hanging out with someone younger than her, no matter how much she enjoyed nathaniel's company. luka understood her, listened, and accepted her with open arms. not many people did that.

she was more than fond of him, that was a sure thing.

only time would tell.

she let out a loud groan in resignation, throwing her head back.

"fine. introduce me to your...posse."

"you pronounced friends incorrectly."

"i said what i meant and i meant what i said. are we going or not?"

nathaniel popped up beside her, smiling, "don't worry celeste, they're all good people. i'm sure you'll get along with them."

she trailed behind the both of them, shutting the door to the art room behind her, she scrunched her nose in distaste.

there was a few more reasons that she didn't want to meet their friends, but she couldn't tell him.

she couldn't tell anybody.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵