FAMILY

Keith watches Pidge disappear amongst the crowd, wishing he knew what was wrong. He can tell something is different about her, he just can't quite put his finger on it. Maybe her strange behavior is just because of Shiro's death, but as long as he's known her he'd like to think that he can tell when something else is bothering her. He wouldn't be a very good leader if he couldn't, right?

"We should go find our seats," he tells the others. "I think the service is about to begin."

The last thing he wants to do is find his seat, though. It will make everything too real, too final. But his mother's comforting hand on his shoulder, his wolf's gentle nuzzle against his arm, and his friends' support make it all almost bearable.

The service doesn't last nearly as long as he feels like it should. Shiro was such a great man to him, and he deserved so much more. But he knows that they would have been there all week if he had gotten to say all he wanted to about his role model, so he has to settle for less.

As he stands amidst so many people, all there for Shiro, it suddenly becomes hard to breathe. "I need some air," he tells his mom. She nods, and he rushes out the nearest door he can find. Kosmo follows closely behind him.

Finally outside, he attempts to take in a deep breath but realizes that he can't. He gasps for air, and falls to his knees. Panic begins to set in as he wonders what he is going to do. How can he live knowing he'll never get to see Shiro again? Never get to talk with him about his problems? Never get to tell him all the amazing things he is accomplishing? Tears begin to flow freely as the reality hits him hard.

Kosmo whines and licks Keith's cheek gently. Keith absentmindedly scratches at the top of his wolf's head, but continues to sob.

"Keith, you okay buddy?"

Keith glances up to see Lance coming out the door towards him, soon followed by Hunk and Pidge.

"No, Lance. I'm not okay!" Keith replies with a sigh. He doesn't like to admit it. He feels like he needs to be stronger, like he should hold it together for everybody else. But he's tired of trying to hold it together. "Shiro's gone, and there's nothing we can do!"

Lance and Hunk each put a hand on Keith's shoulders, while Pidge stands back staring. "There's actually lots we can do," Hunk says. "We can celebrate his life by continuing to live ours."

     "Yeah, you know Shiro wouldn't want us to be all upset," Lance says

"Yeah, you know Shiro wouldn't want us to be all upset," Lance says. "He'd want us to live life to the fullest, in his honor."

Keith finally stands back up, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I know you guys are right," he says. "But that's easier said than done for me."

"I looked up to Shiro a lot," Pidge says, stepping forward. "I remember my dad and brother telling me so many amazing things about him! And then when I got to actually know him myself, I learned that everything they ever said about him was true. He had a kind heart, and he was so strong. Strong enough to keep all of us going, no matter what. And brave enough to be our leader." She begins to sniffle as she adds, "I'm going to miss him, I know we all are. But I'm just still glad that we all have each other."

Keith nods. He knows that Pidge is right; what matters the most is that they are all here, together. But he still feels like there is now a huge hole in his heart. "I just feel so lost..."

A tear trickles down Pidge's cheek as she says, "Shiro isn't completely gone though, Keith. He still lives on... through you."

Keith has never thought of it that way before. Shiro taught him so much, taught him how to be a good leader and how to stay strong in the face of danger. Patience yields focus is something Shiro told him that he reminds himself of on a regular basis.

He actually manages a smile. "Thanks Pidge," he says, pulling her into a hug.

"Aww, group hug!" Hunk yells. He wraps his arms around Keith and Pidge, and pulls Lance into the hug too.

Keith's smile widens. Shiro's death may be a huge loss, but he knows that he still has his friends. He still has his family, and that's what counts.