FIRST TO ARRIVE

"I'll be back before you know it... hopefully."

Hunk has just finished telling Shay what he can about the trip he and his team are about to take. He has never been good at keeping secrets, so it's difficult for him to keep from telling her every single detail about the mission. But it helps to know that keeping this whole thing under wraps was one of Shiro's last wishes, and he wants to honor that.

"I hope so," Shay says. "You are the head chef! Our meals will not be the same without you."

"Eh, you and Sal have it covered," Hunk says, batting his hand. "I trust you guys."

"That means a lot to me." She smiles as she adds, "I will miss you, though."

"I'll miss you too," Hunk says. To his surprise, Shay leans over and gives him a kiss on the cheek. It feels a lot gentler than he thought it would, considering her skin is made of rock. He blushes and has no idea what to say, so he just returns the smile she is giving him.

After rushing to get everything ready as fast as they could, the four friends are finally ready to leave. They plan to meet at Keith's old shack in the desert.

Surprising himself, Lance is the first to arrive... even before Keith. He finds a place to sit on the porch and waits, watching the hint of sunlight that is beginning to appear on the horizon.

 He finds a place to sit on the porch and waits, watching the hint of sunlight that is beginning to appear on the horizon

"So, um... If you can hear me Allura, I'm really nervous about this trip," Lance says after glancing around to make sure he is alone. After a moment his markings begin to glow.

I can hear you. What's making you nervous?

Lance sighs. "I think it's mostly the not knowing," he replies. "Not knowing exactly what this mission is. Not knowing where we're going or what we're doing. Not knowing if we'll even come back alive or not!" Without realizing it, his voice has raised to a level of panic.

Calm down, panicking will not help solve anything.

"I know, I know," Lance says, his volume returning to normal. "I'm trying really hard not to, but..."

Nearby, he hears a twig snap. Thinking one of the others has arrived, he glances around to make sure no one overheard his conversation with Allura. But when he doesn't see anyone, he begins to grow suspicious.

"Is someone there?" He announces to the desert landscape.

What's going on?

"I'm not sure, just thought I heard someone." He waits for a moment, but when he still doesn't see anybody he decides it is safe to resume talking to Allura.

"Must have been an animal or something," he says. "So anyway, I still don't completely understand where you are –or even what you are, really– but is there some way, any way at all, that you might be able to help us out here?"

What do you mean? How could I help?

"I don't know, thats why I'm asking!"

I don't really know either. I already told you, I'm just getting used to this new existence myself.

"But you figured out how to communicate with me, didn't you? Surely there's something..." He stops himself before completing his sentence. "Never mind, I don't want to ask something of you that might be too much. I'm just glad to have you with me." He smiles, and somehow he knows that, wherever she is, she is smiling too.

"What are you asking of whom?"

Startled, Lance jumps when he hears Pidge approaching him. His markings quit glowing, and just in time. "What? I don't know what you're talking about."

Pidge chuckles. "Talking to yourself, huh? Now who's the crazy one?"

"You're in love with Keith. The crazy one is still you."

Pidge rolls her eyes. "Where is he, anyway?" She asks.

"Late," Lance replies. "Typical."

"Typical for you, maybe," Pidge says.

"Hey, I was here first!"

"Yeah, well, there's a first time for everything."

"Wow, being in love makes you really snippy," Lance remarks.

"Seriously, would you stop saying that?!" Pidge shouts.

Lance is about to respond, when the sound of an approaching ship catches their attention. The gray and purple Galra ship lands, blowing dirt and sand in all directions. When the door opens, out walk Keith and Kosmo.

"Sorry I'm late," Keith says. "I had to make sure my mom has everything under control before I left."

"No problem, it's not like we're in a hurry or anything," Lance says sarcastically, folding his arms.

Keith considers him for a moment, and then leans over towards Pidge. "What's with him?"

"I think he's finally cracked," Pidge replies. "I caught him having a full-on conversation with himself."

"I can hear you, you know!" Lance shouts. "And I'm not the only one who has conversations with myself!" He glares at Pidge. "Should I tell Keith of a certain incident in a supply closet?"

Lance can tell she knows exactly what he is referring to when her eyes grow as wide as saucers.

"What happened in a–" Keith begins to say.

"Oh look, there's Hunk!" Pidge interrupts nervously, redirecting the conversation. She glares at Lance, who only smirks in return.