SACRIFICE

As the gang slowly approaches the portal, a deep voice emanates from within. "WHO HAVE YOU BROUGHT TO ME?" It booms, startling most of them. Even Kosmo growls, deep and low.

     "These are the Paladins of Voltron, oh great Kloflax," Pelg replies with a bow. "They wish to speak with you."

     "AH YES, THE PALADINS OF VOLTRON. I AM AWARE OF WHO YOU ARE," the Kloflax says. "I HAVE SEEN ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE FOR OUR UNIVERSE."

     "That's not creepy at all..." Lance whispers to Hunk under his breath.

     "NO, LANCE MCCLAIN, I DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS CREEPY TO WATCH OVER THE PEOPLE OF THE UNIVERSE," the Kloflax says, causing Lance to jump at the mention of his name.

     Keith steps toward the portal. "We wish to speak with you about bringing back a friend of ours," he says. When the Kloflax does not respond, he adds with an awkward bow, "Great Kloflax, sir..."

     "YES, THE ALTEAN PRINCESS ALLURA. I AM AWARE OF YOUR REQUEST."

     "So you'll do it?" Hunk asks. "Please say you'll do it..."

     "I AM POSITIVE YOU KNOW OF MY REQUIREMENTS," the Kloflax responds.

     Lance sighs deeply. "Yeah, we do... But we were kinda hoping, just this once, you'd let that slide? The fate of the universe being at stake, and all."

     "YOU KNOW MY REQUIREMENTS," the Kloflax insists.

     "But why?" Pidge asks. "Why do you have these requirements?"

     "THERE MUST BE BALANCE IN THE UNIVERSE," the Kloflax replies. "A LIFE FOR A LIFE. IT IS THE WAY THINGS MUST BE."

     The Paladins exchange glances with one another. Most of them are unsure what to do now, but one of them has made up his mind...

     Lance walks over to Veronica, sadness evident all over his face. "Lance, it's okay," she assures him. "We'll figure this out! We—" She stops when he suddenly embraces her, tighter than he ever has before.

     "I love you, Veronica. You know that, right?"

     "Lance, what are you doing?" She asks worriedly, as the others begin to take notice of his actions.

     "And you'll tell Mom and Pop-Pop that I love them too? And Rachel and Marco and everyone else?"

     "Don't you dare," Veronica says, holding on tightly to him. "Don't you dare leave us!"

     But Lance ignores her as he pulls himself from her grasp and begins to walk towards the portal.

     Lance, don't do this! Allura begs. I'm fine where I am! It's not worth it to exchange your life for mine. But again, Lance just ignores her.

     Before he can step into the portal, Keith walks in front of Lance, stopping him. "Get out of the way, Keith!" Lance shouts determinedly.

     "No!" Keith shouts back defiantly. "I'm not going to let you do this!"

     Lance hears the other Paladins and everyone else trying to convince him, but he tunes them out. "I have to," he tells Keith softly as tears begin to form in his eyes. "What happened to Allura never should have happened to begin with. I knew things would probably come to this, and I accepted this as my fate a long time ago."

     "But it doesn't have to be," Keith says, and Lance is surprised to see tears glistening in his eyes as well. "We'll figure something else out! We always do."