Teams.

As Amaya awoke this morning something felt different, and though she couldn't quite place it she decided to go with it. Maybe its a good thing... she thought as she slipped on her sandles. Refilling Kenshin's water and food bowls she felt as if a routine was clicking in- a newfound consistency being sown into her historically unpredictable life. She didn't mind.

-----

Today as she slid open the door the the academy classroom the aura of her peers was stronger then ever, all of them feeling confident as they were now technically ninja. Though she new better then to label any of these children as shinobi, a headband didn't make someone a ninja.

Wandering up the steps she found her usual seat next to the Nara she had recently become acquainted with. At first she wasn't sure what to make of him, he was definitely more mature then his peers, but he still hadn't fully warmed up to her yet. He was smart too- she could tell that much, Amaya knew of the Nara's. Even having met a few. Good people she concluded, but did have a penchant for brutal honesty and high IQ's. Shikamaru most definitely fit the bill. As she took her seat next to him, she gave him a small nod placing her hands on the desk in front of her. Making sure to always keep a distance, personal space was important to her.

This was also something the Nara had picked about his new deskmate- she didn't like to get close. Shikarmau also knew that though she was able to train her features to remain indifferent, her eyes would always give her away. like when someone would talk to her without prompting, her face would remain stoic but she'd gain this bewildered look in her honey colored eyes. As if someone went off script and she didn't have her lines prepared. knowing this- he never spoke to her out of the usual box of interactions, good morning, see ya later, the works. He could tell she had made it a point to respect his boundaries- so the least he could do was return the favor.

As the rest of the class pilfered in, Iruka began his small prepared speech. Admittedly Amaya wasn't exactly listening, not until the teacher got to the part she had been waiting for.

"Now, its time to be assigned your three man squads. Though, this year, due to the odd number of students there will be one four man squad." Now everyone was listening.

As Iruka rattled off names Amaya sat bouncing her leg, dreading the fact she'd have to meet new people. Shikamaru watched out of the corner of his eye.

"I will now announce our team of 4, Squad 7-" Amaya eyes drifted to all the not yet chosen kids, getting the feeling this would be her future.

"Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha- and Amaya Ishikawa,"

She already didn't know what to make of the team, to her left all three sat in a row just across the isle from her. She knew Naruto- she supposed that was good if anything. the other two she wasn't so sure about. The girl with the pink hair she now knew as Sakura sat cheerfully, gazing earnestly at the boy to her left. It was so beyond Amaya how someone could so unbashfully wear their emotions on their sleeve. She was either very stupid, or very brave. Given the right situation it could even be respectable. The boy on the other hand stared ahead, brows furrowed in irritation. Sasuke, she now new him as, looked like he wanted nothing more then to be as far of way from his admirer as possible.

Looking on, Shikamaru caught her apprehensive gaze and leaned in next to her. She felt it before she saw his face next to hers- she wanted to jump away and leave. He was encroaching on her personal space, he knew that, but in the moment he didn't exactly care. A little part of him just wanted to see what she would do, the rest wanted to wipe that deer in the headlights look off her face.

"Their not too bad, Naruto may be an idiot but hes a good guy. Sakura is annoying, very annoying but she's got a good head on her shoulders. And Sasuke is the top of our class, you outta be glad he's on your squad, that is if you could get past the rotton attitude." He murmured in a hushed tone, looking past her at her new team.

Is he comforting me? is that something friends do?... are we friends?

The questions circled her brain wildly as her eyes drifted to him. he could practically hear the cogs in her brain mulling over what he had told her. She gave him a small, grateful nod before he leaned away. She wasn't exactly sure of his motives- but she appreciated the gesture none the less.

----

As the minutes when by each team was picked up by their respective sensei one by one. All until the unaquainted members of team 7 remained. After a long while of sitting around Naruto piped up, standing to his feet and walking to the door.

He looked back and fourth impatiently before Sakura reprimanded him- scolding him to sit down.

"I don't want to- how come all he other students met their teachers already! I'm ready to roll!" He whined.

Amaya slid back into her seat propping her legs up on the table in front of her. She was seated farthest from the trio- while they sat by the door diligently waiting for their Sensei, she remained near the window. Naruto didn't pay her much mind, he was comfortable with the quite girl but the other two not so much. Sakura's eyes drifted to Amaya ever so often before she finally spoke.

"So... What made you come to Konoha..." The pink haired girl asked hesitantly, attempting to extend an olive branch. Amaya shifted, not prepared for the line of questioning.

"Change of scenery." She hummed shortly.

"Oh.." Sakura's eyes drifted to the floor unsure of where to take the conversation.

"Why did you join the Academy so late? You a repeater or something? This time it was the quiet Uchiha who spoke up. His eyes bored into hers with an intensity that she was unfazed by.

You don't scare me boy...

As the thought pilfered across her mind she breathed out a small laugh, the corner of her mouth lifting amusement.

"Uh no- definitely not. I'm perfectly capable..." She sat in thought for a moment mulling over how she'd approach the first half of his question.

"I was trained elsewhere. But to assimilate here I needed to be paired with a squad- so I had to take the test like you all."

Sasuke narrowed his eyes, he already didn't like her. She had an unconvincing answer for everything.

"Where were you trained?" There eyes were locked as he asked the question.

The corner of her mouth rose as she looked at him with zero intention of answering that question. Just in that instant the door slid open revealing their new Sensei- who, was now covered in chalk dust as he stood planted in the doorway.

Saved by the... eraser? Naruto snickered and Sakura profusely apologized. Amaya could recall him even setting up the small but juvenile prank. But what soon became even more distracting was the man in the doorway himself.

"My first impression, is that your all idiots."

Its Hatake- She though feverishly, or, copy kitty as I so eloquently dubbed him on her first day. Amaya kept her composure but on the inside she was floundering, this was an unforeseen twist and she certainly didn't like surprises. As her three teammates looked down dejected his eyes found hers.

The look he gave her wasn't kind, it resembled that of a threat. But she stared back unflinching with just as much resentment in her eyes...

----

The team introductions went pretty much as expected, Naruto droning on about ramen, Sakura fawning over Sasuke, and Sasuke himself saying something highly cryptic and dark for no apparent reason. And of course Kakashi telling the team pretty much nothing about himself, but then again that was expected. The only thing Amaya really took away from the whole thing was the test they were told would be taking place the next morning. She wasn't worried about herself per say, more concerned about the rest of her team.

The test is most likely engineered for kids fresh out of the academy right? she reasoned, How hard could it really be?

She supposed she'd just have to put some faith in her team...