that i can do...

Finn's room was colder than it usually was. It felt like the air itself has frozen. It felt crisp and unenjoyable, it made Finn wonder who on earth would ever live in Alaska. Perhaps that's what woke him up this morning.

He was due for LA soon, it would be his second time flying there...well, second time with the intent of something other than a concert. Nowadays he only liked going there for concerts. The concerts themselves kept his mind so preoccupied and busy that most of the time he didn't even have time to think about the people who he once knew that still lived there. Apart of Finn wish he never pursued Jack so much, but all the other parts cried with joy from it.

Bring bring

It was Millie, it had to be. She had promised him about a half million times that she'd call him when they had to be at the airport in an hour. She always was responsible, so responsible that Finn always thought that if she wasn't his bestfriend then she'd most likely bully her way into the position of his second mom, even with being his friend she still holds that title.

BRING

The phone's aggressive ringing was what caught Finn out of his daze -he had been doing that a lot lately, just thinking. He extended his long finger towards his phone screen and tapped the "accept call" button, within seconds Millie's cotton-candy-sweet voice vibrated through the speaker.

"What, Mills?" Finn breathed, properly pressing the phone to his ear.

A crackled sigh responded to his question. "I said, 'you have an hour before caleb and I come pick you up!' And you best be ready, Finn." The rocker almost laughed at her motherly tone. Being away for what felt like years with a band that was more enemies than friends didn't seem to allow a caring tone such as that. It had been months since Finn had even texted his own mother. Nick had picked him up from the airport and when he walked through the front door to his house all he heard was drunken snores coming from the living room couch. Upon coming to the realization that it was his mother, apart of Finn wanted to text Jack and say, 'you were right, one part of me has not changed in that two and a half years and that's the part with an alcoholic for a mother.' Instead, Finn walked to his room and fell into sleep.

"Okay, Mills... I won't be late."

"I know you won't, you're never late when it's important. That's what makes you such a great guy, Finn. You care, " Millie gushed into the phone.

'You care.' Finn felt a lump form in his throat, there were no parts of him that contradicted the others, his whole mind seemed whole on the fact that he wishes Jack could be like Millie.  He wishes Jack could see him just as much as Millie did. He wishes Jack loved him more than Millie did. He wishes Jack was his again. Finn always wished for Jack.

"I'll see you in an hour, Finn, " and with that, Millie hung up. Finn felt a tear come to his eye before he shooed it away. Finn Wolfhard didn't and couldn't cry, even in his room by himself. Ayla would know and hit him, she always did find out. Malcolm would shake his head and the other Jack would sneer and continue strumming his guitar.

It wasn't his fault that he had feelings. 'But you have too much of them.'

"Finn!" a knock kluncked against his door.

Finn rubbed his reddening eyes, "yeah?!"

The door quietly creaked open to reveal an obviously tired Nick -Finn made a mental note to thank his brother with dinner one night. "Are you all packed and everything?" Finn watched intently as Nick's eyes darted across the room searching for something new or out of the ordinary.

"I never unpacked..." Finn admitted, his cheeks were painted with a slight red for unknown reasons. Nick sighed loudly before walking into his little brother's room and taking a seat next to him on the soft bed.

"Are you okay?" Finn nodded automatically. Nick frowned and leaned toward Finn to catch his eye, "Finn, I know you. I see that you aren't okay. I see you." Finn glanced briefly to his brother before getting caught in his gaze. He unconsciously nodded his head and suddenly tears sprang to his eyes. Nick slowly wrapped an arm around Finn's shoulder and pulled him in for a hug. It didn't take very long for gut-wrenching sobs to pour from Finn's throat.

"What's wrong?" Nick asked softly into Finn's fluffy hair.

Finn gasped out, "everything! Nothing is going right for me! NOTHING!" Finn hiccuped brutally causing Nick to wrap his arms around him tighter.

"What happened?"

"Jack!" Finn sobbed, only able to get out a word at a time now.

Nick sighed softly, "what about Jack?"

"He doesn't love me, Nick! He loves Ellie..." Finn pushed through his hiccups.

"Finn, I thought you and Jack broke up?" Nick brought a hand up and ran his hands through Finn's hair, helping the shaking boy catch his breath.

After a while, Finn answered, "we did... But we got talking again...and I still love him, Nick, " Finn shuddered.

"Well, who's Ellie?"

"His girlfriend! She's so mean to me, Nick! I don't know why she's so mean!" Finn gasped, his sobbing coming back again.

"There's gonna be people out there like that, Finn. They're gonna hate you for everything you do and how you look and what you say. But you have to remember that there are people out there who love all of the things that the other people hate you for. No one can please the world, not even you, " Nick mumbled focusing on Finn's breathing.

Finn gasped, "but it still hurts!"

Nick felt a tear come to his eye, "it's gonna hurt...life hurts, Finn. But it's not about whether or not you get hurt, it's about whether or not it was worth getting hurt for, " Finn nodded against Nick's chest quietly. "Was he worth it, Finn? Is Jack worth every tear you've dropped?" Finn nodded his head again but this time with hesitancy. "Finn, you have always found love in the strangest places, don't let Jack be your last strange love because he hurt you." Finn huffed a laugh but still clung to his older brother. "Don't live in the shadow of yourself."

And they stayed like that for as long as they both needed. For Nick, it was for however long Finn needed it, And for Finn, Finn was convinced he needed it forever.