Then I Guess I've Gone Sick For You

asher: When do you go back?

noah: this sunday

asher: Wow you only stayed a few days?

noah: i stay a week :/

asher: Aha... I don't wanna take you away from your friends.

noah: ???

asher: You came to visit them right?

noah: well i mean yeah

asher: See I don't wanna come in between y'all

noah: there is such a thing as nights? after activites?

asher: Damn you're hella smart ;)

noah: :PPP

asher: When is your next short activity?

noah: i think on thursday we're just going to the beach
noah: i can even ask if u can come...

asher: Ooo ok I'll ask my ma

noah: okkk
noah: ill ask my temporary mom

asher: ???

noah: wyatt

asher: Ohhh

noah: yeee

asher: See you hopefully Thursday cutie! ;)

noah: :))) <333

asher: <3

——————

Jack's hands rubbed circles into the loose fabric of his sweater. The baggy softness touching his skin so lightly that it created the illusion of not even being there. For his slumber part outfit, he had just picked a baby blue NASA baggy sweater along with pastel rainbow shorts and tall white socks with pastel yellow converse.

"Jack, where are you going?" Jack's mom asked from her place on the couch. Jack silently cursed under his breath. He was hoping that his mom was in bed by now and not sitting on the couch that he would have to sneak by in order to leave his house.

"I'm going to Wyatt's sleepover, Mom."

Jack's mom let out a noise of surprise, "I thought you weren't friends with Wyatt anymore?"

"What?" Jack asked, his nose scrunched up.

"Well, you never played or talked about any of them for a long while... Are you and Finn doing okay?"

Jack sucked in a harsh breath at the mention of Finn's name, had it really been that long since he's talked to his own mother?! "No..." He trailed off, his eyes starting to glisten with tears. "We're not okay, mom."

"Baby?! What happened?!" Jack's mom exclaimed her voice becoming shrill as she opened her arms for Jack to snuggle into. Jack took her invitation and laid his head on his mother's chest allowing her to run her nicely done manicured nails against his scalp.

Jack sniffled which just caused more snot to flow out of his button nose. "We broke up..."

"When?!"

"Two and a half years ago! But we ended up reconnecting a few months ago and I still want him, Mom!" Jack vented, his tears now dripping freely with no end in sight.

"Baby... What happened?" She calmly asked, her nails running against his shoulder and scalp.

"Finn kissed a girl when he was up here... And he swore it was an accident but I cut him off and now he's this big-time rock and roll teen! And I miss him so much, Mom!" Jack said in what seemed to be one breath.

Jack's mom sighed loudly into her son's ear, she let her long nails run from his scalp to right behind his ear causing goosebumps to spread down his arms. "Baby... Sometimes the best kind of loves hurt."

"I don't wanna love him, mama!" Jack screamed into his mother's thigh as he sobbed openly.

"You don't get to choose who you love, Jack."

"Why?!"

Jack's mom sighed, "because your heart and mind are not the same... Your mind has no control over your heart and sometimes your heart has no control over your mind..."

Jack's shuddering breathes deepened as he tried to calm himself, "I didn't tell you everything, mom."

"What is it, babe?"

Jack took in a breath, "I don't wanna be in love with him because I have a girlfriend..."

"Oh, honey, " Jack's mom began. "Just follow your heart, Jack. It's not all black and white but it's not always a puzzle either."

"Thank you, mom..." Jack whispered. The two Grazers sat huddled together for ten minutes before Jack pushed off of his mother's lap and wiped away the dried tear tracks and snot from his face.

"Are you okay?"

"No, but I'm better, " Jack admitted his voice gruff and bumpy.

"Why don't you go upstairs and wash your face with cold water? Put a cold rag on the back of your neck and just try and relax."

"Okay..." Jack mumbled pushing himself to stand up. He dragged his heavy body upstairs into his bathroom. As he did what his mother told him to he couldn't help but let a few more streams of tears fall out of his eyes. Everything felt so much clearer but also so hazy.

He was well on his way to Jaeden's by the time 7 pm struck. His phone was blowing up the entire journey to the Lieberher house. Jack wasn't too worried, it had to either be Jaeden or Ellie and deep down he wished it was the former rather than the latter.

"JACK!" Jaeden belted once Jack walked through his front door. The smaller boy was supposed to be at his house half an hour ago and yet he was just now showing up.

"Sorry! My mom and I got talking about stuff!" Jack exclaimed rushing towards Jaeden's kitchen for a glass of water before he had to load up into Jaeden's mom's car for the slumber party.

Jaeden rolled his eyes and followed Jack through his tiny house, "Oh well next time, I'll tell the panic attack to wait a minute! You're so fucking lucky I didn't call the police!"

"The police?!" Jack echoed in disbelief. "Jaeden I was twenty-five-minutes late!"

"Twenty-five-minutes my fucking ass!" Jaeden shouted as he leaned against the counter parallel to the fridge that Jack dug through. "You're forty-five fucking minutes late, you dumb asshole! I get you have a girlfriend now and all that shit, but text me next time!" Jaeden ranted whilst watching Jack pull a water bottle from the fridge.

Jack huffed loudly, "I texted you when I was gonna leave!"

"Exactly! 'Was gonna!' Even if you're a shot skater it only takes ten minutes to get here from your house! Text me next time! I just bout' had a heart attack!" Jaeden's shrill voice seemed to bounce across Jack's mind as he attempted to rehydrate before facing the tense night that was no doubt about to come.

"Okay, Jae, I get it!" Jack said exasperated.

"Okay!" Jaeden huffed. "My mom's ready when you are, shithead."

"Got all my shit in my bag!" Jack said cheerily as he spun around and pointed to the backpack strapped to his back.

Jaeden rolled his eyes fondly, "Mkay, I'll go get mom."