The Prelude

This is just the beginning: everything else will follow

Cadence Elliott, an African-American twenty year old college student from Columbia University, takes on the role of being an intern non-profit organization leader at a summer camp. Studying in the world of sociology, she had billowed from pure excitement, as Cadence got the opportunity to do what she loves; working with adopted children.

Getting the summer internship meant everything to Cadence, as she too was adopted. She did everything possibly good; worked hard, prayed harder. Cadence was frequently having night terrors, trying not to replay the memory of her adoptive mother dying. She struggled with self-identity issues, seeking for help in regards to looking for her biological mother and father.

Studying her birth certificate, her biological father was only person who signed it. Her mother's signature wasn't on the paper, which was very disheartening to her. She would be turning twenty-one in November, and it was her main mission to find her father, at least.

Being born in Brooklyn, New York, she decided to take a trip over there to start the journey. Of course Cadence had nerves, for she wanted to know why her parents gave her up for adoption; was she worthless? Was she too needy?

A series of questions had always ran through her mind. Wiping the fallen tears, Cadence had to realize maybe her parents didn't want any parts with her. It was gut wrenching, but it made her realize that someone would love and appreciate her, one day.

Her adoptive mother, Maggie Carter, was an optimistic individual who had faith in Cadence's determination. She prayed for her more than she did herself. Every day Maggie and her child would have constant heart-to-heart conversations, conversing about life and how her biological mother hated her. Reassuring her daily, Maggie always wrote positive affirmations, in hopes of finding her mother.

Indeed there was one thing that bothered Ms. Carter, as she feared that Cadence would find her mother and forget about the person who had raised her. The middle-aged woman had a constant battle with COPD. She knew her days were getting shorter, even when she didn't want to admit it. Cadence knew too, for the young adult wrote the woman's obituary passage for her memorial.

It had been seven months since Maggie died, on night of Cadence's twentieth birthday. Leaving her home and car to the young individual, it showed that this woman cared for her adoptive daughter, as if it were her very own biological child.

Destined to find her father, Cadence utilized her lunch breaks to do more research. It felt like a full-time job, which consumed roughly six hours a day to find information about her dad. Her supervisor saw how Cadence would become emotional; days of endless disappointment, or no new information popping up.

It was a mission to find her father.