The Prelude²

Janet Jackson, a thirty-eight year old woman, with a husband and child was something she could never imagine

Janet Jackson, a thirty-eight year old woman, with a husband and child was something she could never imagine. Her main focus was the career she started with at the age of sixteen. From dancing to singing, even acting, Janet did it all.

At the age of seventeen she got pregnant, and gave birth to her child at eighteen. Knowing what was best, she knew that she had to give her up for adoption. Her image and reputation was way too important to be screwed up because of a child.

Many years later, she met the love of her life, Sean. Trying to conceive a child was hard for the couple, as Janet took the blame as it was her form of "punishment" from God. She felt as if having a child out of wedlock, being young, and giving up Cadence was the reason why it took years to have a baby.

Five years ago, Janet and Sean's only son, Ryan was born. He was born a few weeks early but nevertheless, he was healthy. Sean was highly accepting in regards to Janet's choice of putting her daughter up for adoption. He knew the importance of how much of a people pleaser she was; making sure others were okay and happy, it was hard for her to care for herself.

For months on end, Sean witnessed firsthand how badly his wife had sleepless nights. The constant feeling of remorse towards herself, made him a different side of her. She didn't want to consume anything, as she had a non-existent appetite. Intense therapy occurred three times a week, lasting for two months. It bothered him to the point where he felt as if he failed their marriage, and his best friend.

Money could not buy happiness, and it was a known fact. Being the best-selling female artist of all time, Janet had skeletons in her closet dealing with her child being somewhere in the world. Her eighteen year old self was too indulged with everything, and tried her best to please her parents and family. Twenty years later, the consequences had snuck up on her.

At nighttime while both her husband and son were sleeping, Janet had looked on every social media platform in hopes of finding her daughter. Cadence was something special to her biological mother, but she truly felt the exact opposite. Certain milestones that happened for Cadence, Janet didn't get to experience that with her.

She realized that she was not perfect, nor was she trying to be. The regret had overtaken her mind and physical being. She had to do what was best for her at eighteen, but being a matured woman, life was too short for regrets. It was going to be a handful but it was going to take everything in Janet's power to find her baby girl.