Seven

College has been really kicking my ass, and I hate to see it. This semester really humbled me in more ways than one, lol. But here's an early Christmas gift.

Speaking out to long lost family members can be a frightening yet exhilarating process, especially when the family member is a half-sibling whom you've never met, before. Jade, who is six years younger than her big sister, didn't know how to approach Cadence. The twenty-year-old enjoyed the idea of having a younger sibling, but Jade didn't know what to say.

A freshman in high school, junior varsity cheerleader, and VP of the student government association, Jade had a handful of things to deal with. When she first learned that Cadence had reached out to their father, she was nervous. Val has been talking about his oldest daughter for years, and being the protective child to her father, Jade didn't want him to get disappointed. She loved her father dearly, and that was the only parent she knew of.

Jade's mother, Courtney, died from a brain aneurysm when she gave birth to her only child. The tragedy left Val to being a single parent, until his girlfriend, Diane came their lives about six years ago. She's been supportive of Val's emotional state, regarding the reconciliation of he and Cadence. At first it bothered him, hearing his daughter call someone else by a title that wasn't given; although Diane earned it, he wasn't too keen of the idea.

Finding out that your sister's mother is a world renowned superstar is weird on her end

Finding out that your sister's mother is a world renowned superstar is weird on her end. Jade's  didn't want people taking advantage of Cadence for favors. Jade has had experienced times where her "friends" would use her because her father was financially stable. That caused her to build a wall up, being unable to trust folks. However, Diane reminded her that having friends was something important. Being alone isn't and will never be fun.

Cadence sat down in her room, thinking about everything the has transpired within a week's span. Overwhelming, yes. Emotional, yes. Regretful? No. Every word that was sent to her "mother" came from pure hatred for the lady. She tried her best to forgive, but it was too painful to even think of letting her in. One day, all will be well, but for now, things weren't looking so good. The best part of this situation was meeting her father and having a younger sibling. It felt good to get life back on track, you know? Being puzzled and confused about what you are made Cadence deal with self-identity issues.

Unfortunately, this trip won't last forever. Thinking of work and her home back in New York, Cadence pictured herself living in California. She loved the weather, the people, and the food. But it was something about NY that holds a special place in her heart. Being used to the crowd, the general disrespect from residents was something she actually loved. She felt proud to be a Brooklyn native. She loved living in her home, even loved her annoying boss.

There were four days left for her trip in LA, so Cadence wanted to make an agenda to learn more about her biological family. Whether negative or positive, it was mandatory to learn about her family's history.

Maybe this trip can bring some form of closure for the young girl.