Chapter 9: Promise

Erza's P.O.V.

"MOM!" I screamed as I instantly woke up with rolls of sweat all over me. Last night. Was it all real? I wake up in my room, the room's lit up so it's proven that it's actually daytime. Nothing seems suspicious. But last night. It all seemed real. It felt real. Agh, my head hurts. But wait, something's strange...

Jellal didn't wake me up today. And it's... quarter to 7. What's happening? Maybe, this is a dream, too? Well, I'll have to find out.

I made my way to Jellal's room, banging his door open. My eyes shot open when I find him snoring silently under the thick black sheets of his blankets. I decided to wake him up and ask tons of questions.

"Jellal, wake up," I ordered with a firm voice, shaking him several times. But it's no use. I stand in front of him and kneel-ed down. I observed his sleeping manner.

"He's.. he's really peaceful when he sleeps."

It's really unexpected, I swear. From a bum like him? Anyone would assume he'd have snot bubbles under his nose, disgusting drool covering almost the whole area of his face, and his snoring that could be heard a million miles away.

Okay, maybe I'm taking it too far, but, I'd never expect he'd have these qualities when he sleeps..

Wait, Erza. You were supposed to wake him up. Are you admiring him?

No, what the fuck?! Didn't I just insult him a while ago? Ah, fuck it. Well. Right, I should wake him up. Show no mercy, Erza.

I climbed up his bed and jumped on him. That woke him up.

"What the fuck?! Agh!" He grunted, making me laugh really hard. I quickly got off him, but my laughing didn't stop. "Minutes ago you were really calm observing my 'peaceful' face! You're so fucking bipolar!" Jellal angrily laid back down in his bed and mumbled something under the sheets. But unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it.

"Look, Jellal, I'm sorry. But I just want to ask you something--"

"If you're just going to amuse yourself by making jokes, then you might as well leave."

This isn't the first time he was angry at me, but this was very rare. I could feel my tears slowly form in my eyes. What if last night was real? What if Mom really did die? What if... Jellal would be the only one left at my side...

"I'm sorry, Jellal.." My voice cracked as my tears were already dropping. I quickly ran away to my room and laid my head on my pillow, trying to hold back my sobs. Ugh, I seldom cry. Especially in front of Jellal.

Focus, Erza.

What if last night wasn't real after all?

I tried comforting myself with all my thoughts. Just typical 'it will be alright' statements. But the fact that comforting myself was nothing to the thought of my mother's death bothered me a lot more than what I'd expected. I sighed as my tears finally disappeared, leaving dried stains and red marks under my eyes. I decided to sleep again after.

--

I woke up with a shaky breath. I glanced at the clock beside my closet. It was already 11:30 am. Ugh, I woke up late. I wondered if Jellal had already eaten his breakfast, or if he was still in his room, so I walked off from the bed and wandered to his room. He left his door open so I went inside and probed the surroundings.

Surprisingly, he wasn't in his room.

It was a rare occasion that he'd leave his room. He wasn't much of an outdoor person, but he does enjoy himself when he goes out. I turned to the living room downstairs, but he also wasn't there. The bathroom, dining room, he wasn't found anywhere. So I started to worry.