08. Always have a backup

Season 2 Episode 20: The Last Day

Damon Salvatore was laying in bed and he hears Elijah start to talk to Stefan and Elena. Damon gets out of bed and goes downstairs to join them.

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah was slightly panicking because he knew that if Klaus was doing the ritual tonight, Lilith would be in full protection mode. Elijah would be fine but Lilith has beaten him in multiple fights, Elijah needed to come up with something or else tonight was going to be very difficult.

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." Elijah looked at the younger Salvatore and nodded.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid." Klaus and Lilith would be unstoppable. Damon walks up to the group.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..." Stefan's tone was that of a warning but Damon, as usual, ignored it.

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena jumped in. She just got Bonnie back, she is not loosing her again.

"I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon deadpanned.

"It's not an option, Damon." Elena put a comforting hand on Damon's shoulder but he brushed it off.

"All right, how do we break this curse?" Stefan changed the topic so a fight didn't break out between his girlfriend and his brother.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah was silently watching the little argument and he couldn't help but think of his family.

"The moonstone."

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena questioned the original.

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah took a wooden box off of the shelf. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death." Damon cast his eyes to Elena but she looked at Stefan, who grabbed her hand. Elena looks at Elijah and the Original ole s the box, taking out a jar.

"And that's where you come in."

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?" Stefan squeezed her hand.

"And then you won't."

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" Damon looks at Elena. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans. The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work."

"I'll take those odds over your elixir. What if it doesn't work, Elena?"