Chapter 1 part 4

At the bay where the waves softly crash, the moon soaks that figure with light.

               I walk along the hustle and bustle of the harbor. The sound of the current rivals the noises of twilight, the moonlight rivals the lamps on the street.

               Walking behind me, Dazai bobs along.

               Dazai's mushroom turmoil had continued on for half the day, we can finally do some work.

               "Kunikida-kun, that ability you displayed - was it called Doppo Poetry? Show me again sometime."

               "I refuse. Abilities aren't something to be revealed lightly. And anyway, every time I use my ability, I lose a page of my notebook. This notebook is a limited edition product made by a certain craftsman, who after a long time, only managed to make 100 volumes and even the price is exceptional. As if it could be traded with your gags."

               I look at the watch around my wrist and turned around.

               "More importantly, Dazai, walk quicker. We are going to be late for our appointment."

               "Even if you say we're late, Kunikida-kun, there's no appointed time to go to the information broker, so it wasn't really an appointment, isn't it?"

               "No. I told them by phone 'around 7 pm'."

               "And? It's exactly 7 right now. If we walk from here, it'll only take 5 minutes, so there's no way we can be late."

               "Idiot! If it's 'around 7 pm', then I've set my watch from anywhere between 18:59:50 to 19:00:10, these 20 seconds were decided!"

               "That kind of time-keeping, only you would do that though..."

               I walked while bantering back and forth with Dazai.

               By the way, because my wristwatch is synchronized with the standard time to which I get out of bed every morning, the miscalculation in time is less than 1 second.

               "Who was it that ate a Happy Mushroom and caused work to not progress for the day? Don't even think to do that a second time. Even if you do, make sure it's the poisonous one you eat."

               "Well, it was a happy hour."

               "Are you already fine? Are you not seeing the elephant in the pink sky anymore?"

               "Elephant? Don't be stupid. There's no way such a thing can fly, right? The one that can fly is the purple coloured paramecium."

               This person is probably already hopeless.

               Every time I speak to Dazai, I feel like my own doubts are sounding stupid.

               Secret agent? Evil?

               The worst thing he could do is probably jump into a railway and throw the train schedule out of order.

               Be that as it may, Dazai is just your interesting average incompetent person who speaks simply, it's enough just to dismiss him. Although it's just as I wish -

               "Dazai, you remember the request we are going to do from now on, right?"

               "Exterminating the purple paramecium."

               "...Until just now, I've been thinking that you're talking a bit vaguely, but you're doing it on purpose, right?"

               "Ahaha. It's that right? The Haunted House Investigation."