Chapter 3 part 6

For the sake of organizing the information documents, Dazai and I returned to the Agency.

The time left until the deadline at sunset is approximately two hours.

Until then, we have to catch the terrorist that is Aramta and make him spit out the location of the bombs. In just a mere two hours.

However, we have good news. There was a notice that help had arrived.

When I heard that news, I had confidence. We can remove the bombs.

"Ahahahahaha! You all are no good! Without me, the investigation can't go on!"

The moment we returned to the Agency, the usual loud laughter can be heard.

"Ranpo-san! How was the case in Kyushu?"

"Ah, that. With just one look at the corpse, I could tell who the criminal was and how he did the crime, so I quickly solved it and came back."

Nonchalantly sipping on his drink while answering is the senior detective, Edogawa Ranpo.

"Listen up, Kunikida. Just because of one bomb, everyone is in such an uproar. Having a hopeless kouhai is really troubling, you know? Thanks to that, I had to cancel my sightseeing plans in Kyushu and came right back. And I even wanted to eat a hot-spring egg."

"I am sorry. But we need Ranpo-san's power right now."

"My power?"

"Yes.... By right, it should be a case we solve on our own.... But, we were unable to do so, and it even resulted in Ranpo-san's aid. We are truly apologetic."

After staring at me, Ranpo-san took a deep breath and said, "Well - it can't be helped! It's nothing to be ashamed of, Kunikida. It's my bad for being so talented! My 'Super Deduction' is the best of the best of abilities, it can't be helped if you're dependent on it!"

While laughing loudly, he hit my shoulder repeatedly.

"It's exactly like you said." I nodded deeply.

"K-Kunikida-kun, are you okay? Can you endure it?"

From my side, Dazai said timidly.

Endure? What is Dazai saying? Isn't everything as Ranpo-san said?

"Dazai, give Ranpo-san the documents."

"Ah, yes. Hi, I am Dazai, the new recruit. Please take care of me."

"Ahhh, yes I've heard. Please find lots of cases from now on. I will solve everything."

While receiving the documents, Ranpo-san's eyes casually landed on Dazai.

"New guy. Uh, was it Dazai? ....What was your previous job?"

"Yes?"

Ranpo-san became expressionless. He stared at Dazai. As if he's looking for something.

"After I am done with school, I haven't done anything in particular and was just wandering around."

Even at Dazai's answer, Ranpo-san didn't say anything and keep on staring. After a few seconds, "I see. That's good. Well then, work hard." After he finished saying that, he lined the terrorist's documents up on the table as if nothing had happened.