Chapter 3 part 13

Dazai left Kunikida and sprinted into the abandoned bomb shelter.

The transmitter signal came from the maintenance building beyond the shelter itself. Dazai scrambled through a shaft and bolted across a switchyard. There he found the two-story iron maintenance building.

The abandoned building consisted of a first-floor automobile and airplane hangar and a second-floor communications room overlooking the hangar. He hurried up the stairs and into the room.

Is it here?

The flooring was discolored, but everything was covered in rust except for a brand-new hinge on the door. An empty liquor bottle sat on the desk, and cigar ash still floated through the air. Someone used this room frequently.

A large transmitter on the wall was lit up to indicate it was still in use.

Just as Dazai drew near it, a shadow loomed up behind him.

A large, foreign-looking man cast it. How long had he stood behind Dazai, watching and waiting?

The man had dark brown skin and a muscular build. A camellia flower was inked on one arm. His pupils were a dark green. A pattern of old scars ran across his bald head.

He stared down Dazai silently before barking, What are you doing here?

What, you say? Well, isnt it obvious? Im here to warn you! Dazai said, looking back over his shoulder. The detectives found this base! If you dont hurry and get out, itll be your head on the line. Wheres the boss? Theyll break through the entrance in minutes! We dont have any time!

He scrambled to his feet.

I dont recognize you, the giant said.

Of course you dont. Im a spy; no one but the boss knows who I am. You know how they are. Everythings top secret, right? Whatever, just hurry up and call the boss already! Im begging you!

The confused look on the mans face evaporated. On it, he said.

He turned on his heel and began to leave the room, turning his back on Dazai in the process.

Smash!

The man fell to the floor in one slow movement. His bald head now sported a huge, new bruise.

Dazai stood behind him with a grin and half of a broken liquor bottle.

Everything about the boss is top secret. I have a feeling youve never even met them.

He tossed aside the bottle and turned back to the transmitter.

This bad boy will only be fit for a stoplight when Im done with it.

After suppressing the rifle squadron, I set off after Dazai.

Compared to the attack I had faced at the entrance, the military complex was as silent as the tomb. Judging from the fresh footprints and tire tracks scattered here and there, this was definitely the groups hideout, but I couldnt make heads or tails enough of them to follow Dazai. Besides, he was the one with the tracker, not me.

But just as I walked past an iron maintenance building, I heard the sound of shattering glass.

Was that Dazai fighting an enemy?

I pressed my back to the wall and raised my gun before leaping through the entrance and swiveling the muzzle back and forth, searching for the enemy.

The first floor appeared to be an armored vehicle and aircraft hangar, but it was now deserted, the ground bare. The second floor was likely a communications room and an office. If the transmitter were in here somewhere, the second floor was the best bet, but-