Chapter 4 part 1

13 days.

I haven't returned home for a long time and I'll agree to return home. It's a way to relax in a life, one day as a peaceful day.

My comrades and I struggle to save people from death, yet they can die and not alive. That's the fact. Problem arises from that fact. What happens from that fact will cause a problem in human world. Human path is the fact. It says to live as long as it comes, to die, despite the fact. We don't understand that fact. We have no ability to see what fact in ourselves is.

The Detective Agency and I chase after the disposal. I listen to city Military Police's consideration, the report of the loss, then response from the press. As an investigator, there are so many office works to do. Being so busy or something, I don't have any room to be immersed in such sentiment.

As he senses the presence of office works, Dazai  makes "There are things that need to be investigated" as an excuse to discard work as soon as possible, and then disappears somewhere.

I'll screw him up once I can find him.

The case this time, so many of citizens witness jumbo air plane fly away chafing in the sky. Illegal organizations from different countries are reported that they left principal offense in the news, it's noted that Detective Agency participated to discover and arrest the ringleader.

The accomplishment of Detective Agency that prevented an unprecedented major incident at the coastline is praised, Detective Agency is in the vicinity of beneath outbreak regarding the atrocious incident, Detective Agency's responsibility is asked too much.

Especially it seems that the criticism because of dead abducted victims by gas will end in a while.

It's sort of to do routine report of crowded town as usual, I invented to the Director's office. "Excuse me," I bow, stepping into the Director's office.

"How was the work?" The Director drops a glance at the document on the desktop as he asks.

"My eyes turned busy as usual. On top of that, Dazai run away. That man, he detests doing the office work and throws the paperwork to the clerk, escaping straight from Armed Research Division's investigation. He - must push himself into a iron pot of hot spring for once. He would be so pleased to die, to the extend he's not die."

"Without the viewpoint of government constitution, don't expose it." Director summarizes the document. "It was dispatched properly this time. There's a direct complaint from Admiral of Military Police.

'You must become detective industry model in this town'- I hear it. I feel relieved of my burden. At that time - I only think about Detective Agency's reputation." That is.

Before I say something, the Director continues.

"Human life is more valuable than reputation. In case, the Detective Agency continue to compromises human lives- without even think. However, it settled. Kunikida, that's your capability." Director massages his middle forehead with his finger, saying so.

Everyone shows anxiety of professional duty but Director - maybe I'm a little bit tired.

"So Kunikida, have you got the conclusion of the dwelling problem?"

Dwelling problem - 'entrance exam'. I was asked by Director, Dazai's possibility to join in.

"That Dazai, I have already concluded. That man is the worst. He ignores senior's command, disappears in the middle of work unexpectedly, likes suicide, fond of woman, dislikes office work and neglects work. That man is like a social misfit. If he gets to work somewhere, he will get fired without having three days."

I pause, saying predetermined dialog. "But, as a detective, Dazai is the most outstanding talent. Just in several years, he will be one of the leading investigators of the Detective Agency. He passed."

"That's right. It's your place to make decision; it will be no mistake in that case." Director runs brush on the entrance document, affixing his signature. Dazai Osamu - allowed joining in the Detective Agency.

"You've disposed, Director. If you don't mind, I'll take my leave in the afternoon."

"I don't mind it. Is there anything that you want to do?"

"Just a little business."