Chapter 1 part 1

7th

               I flip the pages of my notebook and go through the following two or three days.

               In that period of time, the important things that has to do with me are written out as below:

·        Takekoshi-kun comes over. We share a walk under the moon.

·        I receive a call from the hacker, Taguchi, about the warship from overseas.

·        I eat a pear: the pear was way too sweet.

               I am not allowed to find the trivial things troublesome.

               That way I won't fall into untrue ways. Alas! What have I wished for other than this?

                "Wait!"
                I chased after the offender, dashing through the streets of Yokohama.

               The crowd in the shopping street was as loud as always. The lively voices of stalls calling out to passersby, the noises of the people walking around the street, the customers haggling for a lower price, and the sound of cars unable to pass through coming from left and right. Even if a fight broke out on the right side, there's no mistaking that those on the other side won't notice.

               I pushed through the hustle and bustle of the crowd, chasing after the criminal.

               The man was a petty thief. He created an uproar in a jewelry store, robbing and then running away. It's nothing big, but it had already happened three times and when the store owners of the shopping street can't ignore it any longer, the request to capture the thief came.

               We chased the petty thief after he ran away from the fourth crime scene. The opponent has light feet and his speed didn't drop at all. At the end of the shopping street, he ran into a narrow back alley and I lost sight of him. I stopped chasing him in the confusion and uproar.

               "Don't be slow, new guy!"

               I shouted to the colleague running behind me.

               "Please wait a minute, Kunikida-kun. My shoelaces came undone."

               "I don't care! Hurry up and come over!"

               The one clumsily following me from behind, is a colleague of mine. A new employee that had only recently joined a few days ago.

               His name is Dazai Osamu.

               What a name one can do without.

               "Aa, I am so tired. Kunikida-kun runs too fast. Slow down a little. It's bad for your health, you know."

               "I get it already so just run, you lazybones! It's your fault that my stomach is in extremely poor health!"

               "Congratulations!"

               "Shut up!"

               This man called Dazai, his competency is unclear, his past is also unclear, and he has zero motivation. He's always doing things in his own way and in his own pace and shreds my schedule to pieces.

               To make matters worse, this person's hobby is –

               "By the way, Kunikida-kun, that chap will run away."