Chapter 3 part 10-12

"Until when are you going to pretend to be dead, you idiot. Wake up and get to work."

I kicked Dazai's body.

"Ehh? I want to sleep some more."

Dazai pouted.

000

"Is it the next emergency?"

"Yeah. From the criminal itself, threating to make a plane crash. If you're really not the mastermind, help out."

"If it's Kunikida-kun, I was sure you would shoot 'that' instead." Dazai smiled while still on the ground.

"You're the same as ever, you bastard. That was a good strategy, but don't drag me into one of your stupid plays."

I toss the pistol I used to shoot Dazai with at him.

Dazai caught the gun.

The gun turned back into a piece of paper from my notebook in Dazai's hands.

"But how did you know? I was given the exact same gun from the President. Did you really think I wasn't going to shoot with that?"

"That is trust of course. A cautious person like you wouldn't suddenly use the real thing to make threats."

"When it comes out of your mouth, the word 'trust' is stained."

The gun I had pointed at Dazai with was made from a piece of paper from my notebook with my ability, 'Doppo Poetry'.

The bullet was also made the same way, so the moment it touched Dazai's body, it disappeared due to Dazai's nullifying ability.

"When was the first time you noticed?"

"From the words you said."

There's no way Dazai would say something like 'I don't mind being shot, if it's by you,' so seriously. One of the things I learned by working with Dazai is that if he spat out some kind of fishy lines like such, there's a 90% chance that it means he's making fun of the other party. In that kind of situation, he should be happily dancing with victory while saying, "With this I can die." He's the kind of man where weird is normal, and normal is weird.

"That, and one more thing. This fountain pen. This is not the switch to the bombs, but a listening bug, right?"

"Spot on." Dazai smiled and pointed at me.

It's not luck that kept my work as a detective. It's easy to tell if it's a bomb activating device or not from close up.

To get rid of the listening bug, Dazai put on that little show.

He could tell that I had prepared a jammer to render the bug useless.

"When did it get secretly switched?"

"At the fishing gear store. When we were looking at the dead body, there was a group of people, right? One of them did it. Seriously, I had loved that pen so much. I'll have you compensate that. Although it was very hard to write with it."

"So at the time, that person placed a listening bug and the blue flag at the same time?"

With this, the criminal must've wanted to frame Dazai.

But that was a bad move on the criminal's part.

"It's you. You knew the enemy came in contact with you, I bet you two didn't happen to just pass by each other."