Always Said I Was

Aragorn felt empty of fight and purpose but knew that he had to honour her last requests so after watching the Falls of Rauros as if thinking she'd suddenly appear out of nowhere, saying that it was just a joke and that he needed to get over himself but that never happened.

He stood abruptly, stopping all conversation around him before dropping his pack and only grabbing onto his essentials. Strapping one of Eleniel's daggers that her brother had gifted to her on his waist and his sword and other things, he was packed and ready.

"You do not mean to follow them?," Legolas asked him while he simply nodded.

"Their journey with us has ended. They must continue on to Mordor without us but, I do not feel that this will be the last we shall see of them." Aragorn told him before moving around their camp once again. "We will not let Merry and Pippin suffer at the Orcs hands."

Aragorn grasped onto Legolas and Gimli's shoulder while Legolas grasped onto Boromir's. "The Fellowship may have split but our efforts will not be in vain if we hold true to each other." The others nodded along with his words and followed his actions by getting rid of all that was heavy and only carrying the essentials.

He took off into the forest, following the trail of heavy footsteps that the Uruk-hai left behind with an exclamation of 'Let's hunt some Orc' coming from Gimli as they chased down their already far ahead enemy.

I promise you meleth nin, Aragorn thought as he ran ahead of the others. I will save our friends nor will I let the White City fall. I will become the man, the King you always said that I was.

******

"The news of Eleniel's death has hit him hard, do you not think?" Gimli told his two companions as they raced after their ranger friend. "I imagined that they were really close but it has been a week since we left the Falls of Rauros and he still grieves for her. It is unlike him to let anything get to him."

Legolas nodded, agreeing with the Dwarf also wondering if there was something wrong with their friend. Boromir merely shook his head at the obliviousness of the Elf and Dwarf. "I suppose it would make sense for the both of you to not understand grief like Men as neither of you are Men but I would at least think you able to recognise love when it appears in front of you in its purest form."

They looked confusedly at him then glanced at each other before once again turning back to him, the confused expressions on their faces not lessening at all. "What does love have to do with this?" Gimli asked him, his eyes once again locked on the back of the ranger running so far ahead of them.

Boromir sighed in resignation before saying, "He loved her my friend. He loved her deeply and I am sure that she felt the same even if she didn't know it herself," Boromir told them, the both of them looking at him surprised. "I imagine that he shall grieve for her until he passes from this world but even in death, he will find no relief from this grief for no Mortal may enter into the Undying Lands."

Gimli and Legolas looked surprised at his words before one of them spoke. "I knew they were close but love? Surely you are confused Boromir." The Gondorian once again looked at them as if he did not understand why they thought their races were superior since they clearly both lacked common sense and intelligence.

"You think women give out their most prized possessions on a whim?," He asked both of them, their minds remembering the jewel pendant hanging around Aragorn's neck. "No. Aragorn loved her and she loved him. I just wish the Valar had given them more time together."

The friends and brothers in arms now, all looked at their ranger friend and King for Boromir. They only felt sympathy for him and even though they hated themselves for it, a little pity as well. Their wish for their friends to have at least a little happiness in their lives so clearly ignored.