I Do Not Fear Him

They had stopped for the night, the group getting some much needed rest. Aragorn stood atop a rock, his blue eyes surveying the stars and the moon in the sky. He had been standing by himself for a few minutes when he felt a presence beside him. Looking to his left, he finds Gandalf. Their eyes meet briefly before Aragorn returns to gazing at the moon. It had become somewhat of a habit now, him sitting or standing and gazing up at the moon at night. Boromir, Legolas and Gimli never questioned him for they knew who it was that his mind thought of so they allowed their leader and friend some much needed rest with his thoughts.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dûr his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him: the heir of Númenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men." Aragorn stared intently at the moon before looking at the old Wizard and shrugging his shoulders in response.

There was a clear look of surprise of the Wizards face. "I do not fear him Gandalf," he said. "So he may try and strike the world of Men with everything he has but we will strike back just as hard."

His blue eyes found the back of the slumbering Boromir. A person that Aragorn can admit that he had only ill feelings for at the beginning but he had proven himself a great warrior, companion and friend. "There is strength yet in the world of Men, Boromir has taught me that," he remarked, his voice filled with conviction. "He did not forsake his own people unlike me and even though the Ring called to him, he did not answer. He instead pushed Frodo to leave with it."

"Gandalf, if he wishes for a fight then he shall get one. Eleniel believed in me, it is time that I believe in myself." He told his old friend, his eyes briefly glancing at the pendant around his neck.

"You are not the Ranger that I have known for these past many years." Gandalf said curiously, looking at him intently as if trying to understand who he is. Aragorn could only nod his head in agreement.

"That's because I am not him anymore, Gandalf." Aragorn turned away from the Wizard and focused once again on the moon, his hand firmly clenched around the sarnithil pendant. So focused was he on his thoughts that he did not notice the proud smiles of the now awake Man, Dwarf and Elf, none more proud than Boromir, son of Denethor.

They rode all day the next day until they saw it, a kingdom sat on a tall, green hill. "Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong." Gandalf told them as their horses stopped for a moment before continuing on.

They were almost at the gates of the city when Gandalf said to him, "Do not expect a warm welcome. Rohan is not as you remember it Aragorn." He nodded before riding in and seeing the state of Edoras and its people. It was as if the very happiness was stolen from everything in sight. There were no laughing children nor smiling people, welcoming them. Glancing towards where the King and his kin resided, the Golden Hall of Meduseld, the group saw a fair skinned girl with blonde hair stood there, looking right at them.

"Does she not look like Legolas?" Gimli whispered to the group causing Legolas to glare at the dwarf and his laughing friends. The group received many suspicious looks from the people or sidelong glances from the overly suspicious villagers. There was no cheer in Edoras.

Guards approached the company as they walk up the stairs towards the Hall. Their leader spoke to them, "I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of... Gríma Wormtongue." He spat the persons name as if it left a bad aftertaste in his mouth. The group briefly glanced at each other before immediately removing their many weapons from their bodies.