Mind, Body and Soul

"Elvish"

******

The people of Rohan travelled swiftly across the plains, many wanting to get to Helms Deep as soon as possible. Mountains of white covered them on both sides with only plains of grass to see for miles it seemed.

Gimli was sat on a horse, by himself for once with Èowyn walking next to him. He was regaling her with stories of his people and was talking about Dwarf women to her. "It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men."

The Fellowship laughed loudly when Èowyn glanced back at them, more specifically Aragorn who pointed to his chin and Boromir's. "It's the beard." He told her, the mirth clear on his face and the ones around him.

"And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. And the dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!" Èowyn laughed loudly, her happiness a stark difference to how she was after the death of her cousin and the banishment of her brother. The Men watched as the horse Gimli rode on suddenly jerked forward and dumped the Dwarf on the ground. Boromir and Aragorn glanced at each other before laughing, their hands finding their places on each other's shoulder as they leant against each other and cackled at their Dwarf friends expense.

The Dwarf in question glared at both of them before insisting to Èowyn that he was just fine and meant to do that. "It is good to see my niece happy. I feel as if I have not seen her smile so brightly in so long." The King told Aragorn as Boromir left to help their Dwarf friend back onto his horse with the help of Lady Èowyn.

"Her parents both succumbed to the pain that is death when she was young. I feel that I have failed her and my brothers memory," he told the Ranger and the returned Boromir. "I have not loved her as my brother asked of me. It is I that is the reason for her unhappiness in her life."

Boromir shook his head at the Kings words. "Do not speak such words my King," He said to him, placing a comforting hand upon his shoulder. "Your niece loves you. The only thing she would wish is to see you alive and well." The Gondorian suddenly seemed to go into a trance as if he was remembering something.

As if brought back to the land of the living, Boromir looked into the Kings eyes with a fierce determination before moving in front of him and stopping his plight. "We had a companion that travelled with us some time ago," After speaking these words, he glanced at Aragorn as if to say sorry for bringing Eleniel up but the Ranger only shook his head before nodding for him to go on, the King did not miss this exchange. "I told her of my fears, that I felt I was failing my father and my people but she told me that I may feel this way now but that as time went on, I would soon see that I would rather have my fathers love instead of his approval and pride in me."

"She told me that failure was apart of life. We will always feel as if we could or should have done something but that there is no need to dwell on such things," Boromir said to him as the group of Men glanced at his still laughing niece next to Gimli. "Do not fret over things that have already come to past, my Lord. Only love your niece like you think she deserves now."

The King smiled at him before he clasped Boromir on his forearm in a show of friendship. "Thank you for your words Lord Boromir. Words that I shall always remember."

"Your companion is very wise. Tell me, has she returned to her people and that is why she does not travel with you all?" Neither of the Men answered for some time until Aragorn spoke up, nodding his head to the King.

With a somewhat sad smile on his face, he said, "Yes, she has finally returned home to her family. Something she spoke often of and wished for." Théoden nodded with a smile, not noticing the somber and sad mood his words had brought to the men.