Chapter 2

I seamlessly snuck back into the territory, and still had an hour before I had to meet with the rest of the pack leaders, including the Alpha, Beta, and Delta.

I showered, and changed into a new set of the exact same clothes I put on just a few hours ago. I light the clothes soiled in blood with fire in my backyard, and stomped out the ashes.

Putting my cloak and mask back on, I exited my house. I preferred to always wear those, as the amount of scars and damage done to my face and neck often drew unwanted attention. I also liked looking incredibly closed off, as it often warned people away from me. Not that pack members saw me as approachable anyways.

I walked the short distance to the Pack House, where the Alpha resided, and where I used to live until I received the Gamma position.

My parents were murdered when I was a baby by rogues. Luckily, since my dad was the Gamma, Alpha Wilson took pity on me and let me live in the Pack House, and he took me under his wing. He had a son only a few months younger than me named Sebastian, who would be taking over his father's role as Alpha when he turned 21. It was customary as per pack tradition for him to step up and be the Alpha once he turned 21, unless he challenged his father for the title early. Obviously that wouldn't happen, but it's worth mentioning. I only became the Gamma after killing the former Gamma when I was 13 years old. I don't regret it. Pack positions are able to be won by a duel to the death, and being Gamma was in my blood. He only got the position because he was the Delta when my father died and no one bothered to challenge him for it. That is, until my 13th birthday, when I challenged him knowing that I could win. Alpha Wilson was the one who encouraged me to challenge him, as he knew I was capable enough to beat him. After all, I had trained my whole life for it.

Everyone was surprised when a 13 year old girl beat a 30something year old Gamma, and it was the first time a girl had been inducted as the Gamma.

Naturally, news of my victory spread around not only our pack but other packs, and some wolves came to challenge me for my position. I killed all of them, and no one has challenged me since I was 16.

I had a feeling the current Delta of our pack, John was plotting to challenge me for my position. He was one of the few that had a problem with me being a Gamma. I'm assuming that he thought someone else would have been able to kill me for the position, but 5 years later, I still hadn't lost a challenge.

Initially, many people in the pack were opposed to me getting the position, but when they saw my fighting abilities, they had not doubt that I was the only one for the job. Not to mention, my Gift of summoning weapons made me quite literally perfect for being the Gamma, since Gammas are responsible for the training of the pack, and in charge of guards.

I was called in my pack and by others as "The Grim Reaper" due to my black cloaked attire and the way I had no issues slaying anybody. This reputation left me lonely, which was honestly how I preferred it.

I reached the Pack House just in time for the meeting. All of the other leaders were already waiting for me at the round table in the conference room where we discussed pack meetings.

John gave me a sour look as I sat to the left of the Alpha, with Beta Samuel on his right. "How nice of you to join us, Ares." John said, obviously annoyed.

I gave a pointed look to the clock on the wall, and looked down at my wrist at my imaginary watch.

"It's 8:00 a.m. and the meeting was scheduled for that time exactly. If you would like to be here early that is your prerogative, John. Let's not punish the girl for being on time, hmm?" Alpha Wilson rebuked him gently.

John didn't dare roll his eyes, and simply said "Yes, Alpha", his voice slightly strained.

It should do you well to call me by my title the next time you address me. It's Gamma Ares to you, John. Let's remember who's the Delta here and who's not. I mind linked him, letting him know I was not to be disrespected so blatantly.

His knuckles got white from clenching his fists so hard, but he dared not retaliate in front of the Alpha. Luckily for him, none of the other leaders noticed this exchange.

Alpha Wilson began, "As you all know, we have been having many of territory issues with the Blue Moon pack. It likely will end up resulting in a war within the next few months, unless they agree to a treaty. In preparation for a war, I have decided to ask the Blood Lake pack for help."

At his words, the Beta and John began talking at once, asking questions and panicking.

Alpha Wilson held up one hand. "One at a time, in order of rank. Samuel, your opinion?"

Beta Samuel cleared his throat. "With all due respect Alpha, the Blood Lake pack are barbarians. They live extremely old-fashioned and out-dated. They have no organization in their pack life or in their armies. Why would we form an alliance with them?"

"They are the second largest pack in the continental United States. Despite how feral they may appear, their armies are extremely effective because of their savage ways of battling. Any pack on their bad side is sure to face mass amounts of destruction. Hopefully, by merely making an alliance with them, the Blue Moon pack will be too scared to go to war in fear of facing Blood Lake." Alpha Wilson continued, "Surely you all of heard rumors of how violently and savagely they live. If we have heard those rumors, so has Blue Moon. Ares, what is your input?"

I paused, thinking before I mind linked them: It is quite risky involving the Blood Alpha in any conflict. He makes any situation a thousand times more violent. However, I agree that an alliance with him would likely stop a war from happening to begin with. Historically speaking, the Blood Lake pack has never lost a war, which would deter other packs from joining an alliance with Blue Moon. However, why would he agree to an alliance to begin with? He won't give his aid for nothing in return.

The leaders listened thoughtfully to what I had to say. Alpha Wilson answered my question with, "I am prepared to offer him 10 warriors in return."

Everyone audibly gasped. That was 1/5 of our warriors. Our warriors were arguably the most well-trained warriors out of all of the packs, mostly due to the extensive training I conducted.

"I know it is not ideal," Alpha Wilson explained, "However, that amount pales in comparison to the amount we would lose if we went to war. At least this way, even if the warriors have to relocate to Blood Moon, they will be able to stay alive with their mates, and won't be slaughtered in the battlefield."

I was the first to speak. I agree. We would lose many more warriors in a war.

Beta Samuel nodded. Even fat cow John nodded, albeit begrudgingly.

Alpha Wilson smiled. "Then it's settled. Alpha Cain of Blood Lake will arrive next week."

I had a bad feeling about doing business with the Blood Alpha, but I didn't see a better option.