Chapter 45

Song: The Last One I Made by Pim Stones

As I walk through the valley of death, I am alone, I am alone.

Cain's POV

Ares.

Bloody. Beaten. Her heartbeat was so faint that I had to strain to hear it even with my Alpha abilities. I could faintly hear another gentle taping sound, but I couldn't tell why it was coming from her.

Wilson held a knife to her neck. "If you take one more step, I swear to the Moon Goddess that I will kill her. She's already almost dead, surely you can see that." Wilson's voice wavered slightly.

Jax stood next to him in a defensive position. "How could you, Jax," I spat out at him, betrayed.

"You knew she killed my brother, Cain. I simply cannot let that go," Jax calmly stated, but I could sense his fear.

"And because of your betrayal, I will kill Gwendolyn," I promised him. His tranquil demeanor shifted into panic. Katrina screamed at me, and I ordered Axel via mindlink to subdue her. He grabbed her arms and held them behind her and put his hand over her mouth. She was already a weak wolf, and Axel was one of the strongest I had ever met. She couldn't budge an inch.

"She isn't involved in this," He snarled at me.

I shrugged carelessly, even though my heart was clenched in fear as I could see the life draining from my mate. I needed to kill both of them, and quickly. "She's your mate, and since you took mine from me, I will kill yours as payment." I was bluffing. I wouldn't kill Gwendolyn, she wasn't involved and I wouldn't punish her for something she didn't do. But I needed him to believe I was, and Katrina's hysteric response was definitely help selling it.

Jax looked at Wilson in panic, and then back to me. He knew I was a brutal son of a bitch, and genuinely believed I would kill his mate.

He surrendered, putting his hands up in defeat. "I'll go with you willingly if you swear to the Moon Goddess that Gwen won't be punished for my actions."

"I swear to the Moon Goddess that no harm will come to Gwendolyn," I made the oath, omitting the fact that I had no intention of harming her regardless. "Axel, restrain the traitor."

Axel released Katrina, who had relaxed after I made the oath, but still glared at me. Jax walked over to Axel willingly, accepting his fate.

"This is for Carter," Axel grunted, and transformed his fist into metal. He punched Jax so hard in the sternum with his metal fist that I could hear every bone shatter. Axel sent another punch into his skull, knocking him out, but not killing him. He knew that the privilege of killing him was mine, and mine alone.

"Surrender, Wilson. It's over," I snarled at him, my wolf threatening to come out. It took every ounce of self control not to pounce on him.

Wilson sickly grinned at me. "Fuck no, it's not. If you take one step closer to me, I'll kill your pup."

I frowned. "Don't call her a pup. She's my mate." Calling her pup was my nickname only. I didn't take too kindly to other wolves using the term towards her condescendingly. I used it as a term of endearment, and I knew that Ares liked it. She would have threatened to stab me every time I called her it if she truly didn't like it.

Wilson laughed evilly. "You idiot. You are a weaker Alpha than I thought. Can you not hear it?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, and listened to understand what he was referring too. Again, I heard the faint little tapping in addition to Ares' heartbeat.