Chapter 43

Song: Severed by the Decemberists
"Gonna leave you all severed"

Cain's POV

Two weeks had gone by since I felt Ares' die. Our bond being broken felt like someone had ripped my heart out of my chest. I would have rather that happened.

Thane offered to stay with me in Blood Lake, but I told him he needed to stay with his pack. Even though Wilson withdrew his declaration of war, I didn't trust him not to attack Blue Moon.

Gamma Axel was at my side while I coped with losing Ares. He was surprised by my calm nature, expecting me to fly off the handle and become feral. My wolf was tame for the first time in my whole life. He was so pained he didn't make an appearance or attempt to connect to me.

I held myself together in front of the pack. It's what they need to see. That despite losing the Luna, I still have everything under control. Panic would spread like a wildfire if they knew the depths of my sorrow and grief.

I pushed my grief away to focus on finding her killer. As soon as I avenged her death, I would kill myself, leaving Axel as the Alpha.

He was next in line for the position, since Jax's bond was also broken. In the course of a month, I had lost my Beta, my Delta, and most importantly, my mate. I was a failure of an Alpha, and I was certain that once I passed, Axel would take care of the pack better than I have.

Of course, he didn't know about my suicide plan. He would have tried stopping me, which would have only ended in me hurting him. There was no changing my mind. Without Ares, I have no purpose. I used to think the pack was the most important thing to me, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

My wolf was in agreement that death was the only option for us.

Gwen's voice interrupted my depressed line of thought. "She's here, Alpha."

I continued to sit in my office chair, looking up at the widow. She was a mess when she felt Jax's bond sever. Since he was a Beta, the loss of her mate was felt extremely strongly by her as well. Her skin was pale, and the circles of grey bore under her eyes.

"Bring her in here," I said emotionlessly. Gwen nodded and went to retrieve her sister.

Gwen was originally from Iron Claw, only moving to Blood Lake when Jax went to their territory with me one time, and discovered that they were mates. Her younger sister still resided in Iron Claw, since she had not found her mate yet. Gwen claimed that her sister may be able to help find out who killed our mates. I was skeptical, but I could turn down any possibility of finding my mates killer. The sooner I avenged Ares, the sooner I could end my suffering.

Gwendolyn returned with a miniature version of herself, likely only about 17 years old or so. Her hair was also a fiery red, and red curls swirled haphazardly around her face. Her green eyes were aglow with curiosity. Besides Ares, she was the only female who did not look fearful upon meeting me.

"Alpha," The girl said, and did a mock bow.

"I don't have time for games, child," I harshly reprimanded her. What the hell was Gwen playing at?

The girl raised an eyebrow, and cocked her head to the side. "Oh? Then I suppose I don't have time to help find your mate's killer. That would be a shame, since I know you're desperate to put a wolfsbane dagger in your heart."

My breathing caught in my chest. How could she possibly know about my suicide plan?

"Gwen, leave us," I commanded, the girl now having my undivided attention. Gwen hesitated, looking at her sister, who smiled mischievously and nodded at her. At the girl's reassurance, Gwen left.