Chapter 6: Paris

Situated in the middle of a large openly lit sitting room, sitting in a cream-colored arm chair sat my Grand'mère, slowly sipping at a hot cup of coffee, waiting for us to arrive. The time was 1pm.

When the earth came in contact with my feet, I looked out to see the old witch slowly raising from her chair, ushering us out of the fire place while muttering in quick French.

"Oh you all look so dirty. I told you Emmeline to not take floo network! Always such nasty business and you ruin your clothes." She paused to wipe off ash from my mother's dress while giving her a look over. She stopped at my mother's face.

"Really Emmeline, must you travel in a dress? Many wizards of this community see bits and pieces of witches underskirts when they travel through floo channels. We don't need you flashing the whole of Paris, now do we?"

I forgot how much my grand'mère laid it on my mother every time they were in contact. No wonder my mother looked rather pinched when we left the house moments ago. They gave each other two kisses, one on each cheek before my grand'mère turned to me.

She gave me a quick once over before patting me on the head lightly with a smile.

"Ah come here Ma Belle!" I gave her a giant smile before kissing her twice on each cheek and responding back with "Bonjour Grand'mère! I've missed you."

I watched as she brightened at my use of French and patted me dearly on the head.

"Listen to you! I hear no American accent like your silly brother, Damion. Ha! He has too much of his father in him. Too proud. But you are very French. So much like your Mamen." She gave me a look over and motioned me to turn which I did slowly. My mother watched warily from the sidelines, her gaze going from me to around the room that she knew all too well.

When I stopped to face grand'mère again she clapped happily before going on to say I was getting taller and taller by the day.

"And so much like your Mamen! So much so." She then turned to my mother who continued to fidget with her bags unnecessarily.

"For god's sake, Emmeline, if the bag is such a trouble drop it. Don't act like such a fidgeting lamb!"

My mother, rather beside herself, dropped her bags and crossed her arms foolishly. This was a very different side to my mother then what she showed in Newport and I was greatly enjoying it.

"I'm merely tired Mamen," my mother said quickly. "Can you tell us where we shall sleep so I can put my things away?"

"Ah oui!" she nodded as she ushered us out of the room and into a grand hallway made of all wood and open windows. Multiple doors lay open revealing separate mute colors of parlors, sitting rooms, a music room, and a desk area.

She stopped short at a stairwell where she drew her wand and with a short swish appeared two house elves in clean blue uniforms.

"Bring my families bags to their rooms, if you please." I gave my bag willingly to one of the house elves while my mother gave her's less so.

"Mamen, what rooms will you be giving us?" My Grand'mère waved her hand in passing as she discussed the situation.

"Don't trouble yourself, Emmeline. You will get your old room and Ava will get your sister's-"

"I would prefer it if Ava shared with me, or even went into another room, Mamen. Really, Amélie's room must be all musky from no use!"

"Nonsense, Ava like's her Tante's room, don't you ma belle?" I nodded sweetly, causing my mother to look put out as she went on.