Chapter 48: A Worldwind of Dates

It was on the last week before the term ended where I got the biggest surprise of my year. And no, it was not fashion related.

It started, I assume, when I was making my way up from dance class with Rosalie and Marie. We were heading to the great hall for lunch when we spotted Fleur Delacour flirting it up with Cedric Diggory and a few others by his side while her friends laughed around her. It was a strange scene on its own but as someone who was used to Veela witches, this was not the strangest sight.

But it got better when Ron Weasley, who must have just left the great hall, got a bit of that potent Veela magic Fleur was testing, leading to what had to have been the funniest reaction from a teenage boy.

Ron screamed something incoherent at Fleur, causing her to look mortified and momentarily discombobulated while her friends jumped at the noise. Cedric and his friends were promptly woken from whatever haze they were in and took that moment to walk off and Ron looked ready to pass out. It was Ginny who saved him in the end, putting an arm over her shoulder and walking him away from the ever-growing crowd of laughing students, three of which being my friends and I. Watching Fleur get called out for using Veela magic didn't happen often and was worth snickering at.

But as I said, this wasn't the most surprising thing that happened. What came next far surpassed that hilarious scene. It was after classes were finished for the day and I was stationed in the library, having just spent some time with Jasper before he had to walk off to find Dominic and the others. Since the end of term was only a few days away, all my assignments were coming due and so I had a lot on my plate. I had gone up to grab a new book for my Ghoul studies assignment when I came back to find Nott sitting on my desk, swinging his leg off the floor in a playful attempt at expressing boredom. He saw me coming and gave me a frank wave.

"What did I do to have this pleasure?" I asked as I neared my seat. He gave me a bemused smirk before standing up to let me pass.

"I heard a bit of gossip about you recently."

"Really?" I asked unfazed as he sat back down on my table. I turned open my new book and grabbed my newly started essay.

"You don't seem surprised." I glanced up, border lining sass.

"From what I've heard, I am a pretty popular topic in gossip circles. Though I didn't think you would be interested in gossip, Nott. Do you often listen to Pansy's tales?"

"Ah, I wouldn't want you to think I was that mental. I just wanted to be friendly and tell you that someone is spreading rumors that you said no to Draco's Yule Ball offer."

My eyes shot up from my book, giving Nott his answer, as he quickly leaned back to see my expression better.

"So it's true. How cold blooded of you." My gaze snapped to his, though I didn't see a defensive look in his gaze. Rather he was seemed pleased by this news.

"You're happy to hear I dumped your friend?"

"Happy is a bit of a strong word," Nott clarified. "I want the best for Draco-"

"But," I asked, curiously, making Nott's smirk grow into a smile.

"But," he continued, "I think Draco is too used to getting what he asks for." Realization dawned on me, making me turn in my chair to look up at him.

"You're here to ask me out, aren't you?" His turned away smile answered that question for me, as I slowly turned back to my essay, knowing there was no way I would get any more work done here.

"And I thought I was going to be the one to breach that subject, but you're clever enough to ask me yourself. I'm flattered," He added making me chuckle at his directness.