Chapter 18: Dark Artifacts

By the time dinner was served that night, I had a fresh set of clothes on and no sign of any past tears on my face. Apart from my mother having scrubbed me clean and reassuring me that I was going to be alright (she knew the true reason why I was crying, and it was not because of my ruined blouse), I also was royally pissed off at Draco.

So, when I joined the table for what was to be a decorative feast, I showed up with a complicit smile and a massive cold shoulder to the grey eyes sitting across from me.

It was at this dinner that I would learn that more guests were inbound, expected to arrive tomorrow. I could guess that these guests were not going to be my favorite types of people. I didn't even try to think of a bright side to this vacation at this point. I was stuck in a dreary house with my unstable family and Draco Malfoy when I could have been in Europe with my friends.

I should have just ignored the letters and bolted. Lesson learned.

That night, my mother checked on me again in the lavish yet dry room I was given. I had already taken another bath, as apart from the fountain, Malfoy Manor also happened to have a great supply of hot water. And I was just combing out my hair when I saw her in the back mirror.

"Come to wish me good night?" I asked through the mirror as I lowered the brush back on the vanity table and turned to her.

She gave me a weak smile, a hint of what she wanted to say but dared not.

"I wanted to check in with you one more time before I retired. I couldn't say much to you earlier with Narcissa helping us get ready for dinner. And you know, with your father's image.."

"I'm fine, mamen." I cut her off, annoyance filtering through my voice as I turned back to the vanity mirror. "What Draco did spooked me is all. It won't happen again."

My mother's faint smile grew weaker as she came and kissed me gently on my head in good night.

"You are growing up to be such a strong girl, Ava. Know that your father and I are proud of you."

I wanted to snap back with "And Theo?" but I held my tongue and waited for the door to close on her way out before letting my frown reappear.

Even when comforting her children, my mother has my father's best interests at heart. What does that make me on her line up important things?

During breakfast the next morning, I learned who was to show up, making my stomach crawl. It was basically going to be a Slytherin house reunion. And I was sure Malfoy was going to marvel in it.

And when one of the families, The Nott Family, showed up early after lunch, I made to escape the group altogether, because I knew in my gut that Malfoy was going to involve me, one way or another.

And he did.

I had taken my camera out and was walking down the numerous paths outside, even the Quidditch pitch, to pass the time. The mornings were unbelievably misty here, so that by the time noon came about, the first rays of sun started to show through. And I wanted sunshine in my photos.

I made my mistake by going back to garden because low and behold, Theodore Nott and Draco came walking down the path moments later laughing obnoxiously loud over something I could not hear.

"Told you she'd be here," Draco started as he turned to me with a smug grin. "Aren't you going to say hello to our guest, Fountaine? You should know this one!" He said the last phrase with a jab at Nott's rib cage, making the 2nd boy chuckle as he rubbed his side and pushed Malfoy back.

I wasn't in the mood to listen to their banter but I knew ignoring them would do me no good, so I walked back up the slope, stopping short of the pair and said hello.