Chapter 53: Aftermath of a Ball

"Jasper wait!" I exclaimed the moment I made it out of the Great Hall. Not many students were left in the entrance hall and of those there, most were half asleep talking in groups amongst the stairs. Girls in long dresses had their shoes thrown to the sides, massaging their blistered toes while guys leaned on the walls with their ties unknotted, jackets off.

Jasper stood out in his clean cut blue robes, as he continued to walk on, past the stairs and turned into a hallway, out of sight. Taking a note from the girls around me, I quickly unbuckled the clasps on my heels and rushed after him, my dress dragging on the floor after me.

I didn't have to go far as he had stopped, waiting for me around the corner. Breaking from his usual appearance of a low-key control-freak, Jasper had his hair in a ruffled mess from going through it too many times with his hands, his jacket sleeves were wrinkled and his shoes were no longer as securely tied. But the real kicker was his expression.

Pure disgust read loud and clear on his face. The first time I could truly read his expression and it had to be at this moment? I should sign off from being a good judge of character.

But at the moment, this was furthest from my mind. I felt guilty but more so confused. Why had Jasper come back?

I didn't have to ask as he had decided to start.

"I felt bad about leaving you at the dance. After all I knew how much you had been looking forward to it and there was only another hour. Dominic out of character gave me grief for leaving you. But I see you managed without me just fine."

He wasn't hiding his gaze from me anymore. Jasper was looking right at me, and it was clear as day that he was doing his best to remain polite.

"It wasn't how it looked, Jasper. Truly. Draco kissed me-"

"Don't lie, Ava. You said to my face that there was nothing between the pair of you." He paused, shaking his head and releasing a pained smile, like he was laughing at himself. "I should have figured. Dominic read you like an open book. Even warned me about going with you."

"Oh? What does Dominic have to say?" I questioned, my irritation growing. Jasper met my glare with his.

"What everyone else is saying. That you use people. And that you like to play with others for your own good. I didn't want to believe it as you seemed more than willing to fix your relationship with Sam. Except now that I think about it, you haven't, have you? The pair of you are still on the outs and I was here, being a total block head trying to help. I fell right into your hands, didn't I?" I gawked at him, aghast at his words.

"I never, NEVER, toyed with you. Or Sam for that matter. Why can't the lot of you understand that long distance relationships are near impossible? And I knew Sam for not even a full year by the time I left. Hell, I don't even keep in contact with my brothers! How many people do you keep in contact with like that?" Jasper merely snorted and looked to the ceiling. I shook my head slowly and looked to my heels hanging loosely in my hand.

"I'm telling the truth about Draco. I had no intention of kissing him or doing anything other than dance that one dance with him," I said slowly. "He sprung up on me when my favorite waltz came on, and you know- I wanted to dance." I glanced up to see Jasper listening, though his gaze was still to the ceiling. Just as quickly as he had shown his emotions, he had composed himself again just as fast.

It was a bit concerning.

"Looking back I can tell that he just did it to spite you. And me. He had been watching us all night and seemed to find no better way to end the night than to irritate me."

"You baffle me," Jasper said, turning to look back my way. Again, his expression was too neutral for me to read. "You act like you don't see it and yet it's plain as day. It's why so many people have been gossiping about you. Why Dom told me to avoid you, and why I even brought the pair of you up over dinner. Draco Malfoy and You have this weird game going on and you're clueless about it. No wonder your brother looked so surprised to see you dancing with me. He expected someone posher. Like Malfoy."