Chapter 31: An Unwelcome Reunion

Given that we were going to a Quidditch game in a few hours, none of us dressed to the nines in preparation for the Prime Minister's dinner. But leave it to my mother to make sure we still looked presentable a half hour before walking out the door.

The Prime Minister's tent was situated on a plot of land near its own patch of trees and had no tents around it. It looked almost regular in looks except for two massive marble columns peeking out of the tent canvas, expanding it into a hexagon shape rather than your traditional four square. A stone path led up to the front door where wizards and witches were walking in and out, socializing as they went.

When we entered, the tent expanded into a large canopy with fire lights hanging from the ceiling. A spread of chairs and tables surrounded the opening room, with numerous people milling about, one of which was the familiar older witch I had met earlier this summer, Mrs. Cordelia Fudge.

"Ah, you've made it. Very good," She gushed as we came into the room, watching Theo and myself look around in awe. It was after all, a very nicely decorated tent.

"And you brought teenage boys! Perfect. You will eat all of my food, won't you?" She asked Ed who was having a hard time figuring out what to say to the woman. So, Theo saved him by responding.

"We haven't eaten since noon." His response was enough to send any mother bear running, as she promptly pushed Theo to the long table in the back filled with various plates of food. Damion, Ed and I followed, leaving our parents to stand in the middle of the room, surprised at not getting the attention they were so used to receiving from the hostess.

Of course, that didn't last long. In no time, they were mingling amongst the guests while Mrs. Fudge helped serve my brothers and I roasted potatoes, beans, pork and bread.

"Now make sure to save room for dessert too!" She warned. "I have tarts in the oven!"

Theo, who was already half way through his potatoes grinned enthusiastically while Ed and I exchanged looks of horror at the mountain of food to get through.

"We'll need to escape this place soon," I motioned and my brother nodded in agreement as we started our way around the tent. Damion immediately got into a conversation with a very crisp looking wizard in grey no-maj business attire, and departed our little huddle of siblings to be polite. Next was Theo who finished his second plate before we completed our second lap around the place,  so went off to fill his plate a third time.

Ed then caught sight of a witch he was half sure was the author of his recent book read, Hickering Hedges and Herbology Herbs, a supposed must read, and so he left me alone in a mass of high company and a heap of food.

Deciding not to walk around awkwardly, I took my plate outside and sat in the grass by the entrance where a slow stream of people walked by, heading to the Quidditch stadium early. The sun was just starting to set in the sky, and the buzz of excitement in the air was evident. Singing and cheers amongst loud chatter echoed throughout the campsite from all directions and the colors of people's attire jumped out amongst the orange colors of the sky. Dancing shamrock hats, and massive posters of Krum's face were as far as the eye can see and then there was me, sitting quietly in blue jeans, sneakers and a knitted white top. Not very sportsmen like.

I tugged at one of my fishtail braids nervously as I watched a girl a little older than me in bright red face paint with red feathers in her hair walk past. I was starting to feel dressed down.

The tent opened beside me and I looked up to see Draco of all people, striding out, all in black, with his blonde hair pushed to one side, a small grey pouch in his hand. If I stayed very still, he wouldn't see me, but something about the way he moved, his shoulders down cast, his grey eyes ever watchful, made me think he was sneaking out.