Chapter 24: Letters in Spring

Nothing is worse than getting your period for the first time and not having much knowledge on the topic, if at all. I was lucky to have Marie there who was ahead of me in that regard. Unlike my mother, Marie's mother was very open on the topic and had explained everything to her when she was six years old.

"Very eye opening but at the same time everyone where I'm from is taught about the body at that age. It just makes sense."

We were on our way to Charms the following day after that horrendous wakeup call when we all started talking about it.

"Well my mother told me nothing about periods so I doubt she will care if I'm on it now.

I jinxed myself with that one sentence because low and behold, Professeur Beaupré happened to be walking into the classroom behind us and eves drop on the conversation long enough to understand the situation. So what did she do?

She wrote to my mother on the news.

Oh yes, you read that right. My charms Professeur had the audacity to announce to my mother that my menstrual cycle had started.

And my mother's response wasn't much better.

Anyone else ever receive a bouquet of red roses in celebration of your first visit from mother nature? Because I did, with a note attached saying that I was flowering or what not and that I should be proud.

This was a letter that I tried to incinerate and would have done so if Marie didn't find it so funny.

What do you know, the next day at breakfast and during the remainder of lunch, said letter was passed around from friend to friend, finishing off with Jacqueline who probably told the rest of the school, because duh.

I even wrote to Sam about it on her birthday letter as a PS, including half of the bouquet of flowers as a  joke. She responded with no letter but instead a box filled with witchly pads, and five chocolate frogs.

"So, your friend still refuses to write a single word to you, yet she is willing to shell out that much stuff just because you told her about your period?" Marie questioned as we sat on her bed munching on said frogs. I shrugged.

"D'you think she would send more if you told her I was also struggling?"

"You don't have it yet, though."

"So what! Free chocolate is free chocolate. Wait until I tell the girls about this. They'll have my back on this.

Suffice it to say, this story did not leave me for the rest of spring semester.

I was lucky though, for spring semester turned out far better than I was anticipating. Time started to speed up again when classes get busy. Rosalie became less of an awkward fifth wheel to our group and grew more into herself.

If it was true what they said about her being miserable at Illvermorny, then this semester had given her a 180. Though, I wouldn't say her French magically got better within this time.

She was terrible. So, she was of course the but to all of our jokes, and she learned to roll with it.

"Rosalie, read this," Ana demanded, passing her a piece of parchment with a list of tongue twisters on the page.

Rosalie took one look at the page before scoffing and pushing it away from her.

"Aw you're no fun, Rosie!" She cooed back, only to get Rosalie to take her spin on the phrase and get laughed at.

But then most often than not, we would help her fix her mistake until she managed to speak back to us fluently.

"Watch. One of these days she's going to go back to the states with the biggest glow ups your hometown has ever seen!" Mila predicted, curling her cherry red hair teasingly through her fingers. Rosalie was blushing, but I knew she was thinking the same thing I was.