Chapter 49: Christmas Day

I abruptly awoke on Christmas morning to our bedroom door being slammed open by an excited Ana followed in by a sleepy-eyed Gisele. Jacqueline was nowhere to be seen.

"Why are you four still sleeping in? It's present time!" Ana exclaimed through a bundle of presents she carried in her arms. She promptly walked to my bed and dumped them on my feet before taking a seat beside her bounty.

"I didn't know we were doing a group present opening," Marie mumbled sleepily as she stretched lazily in her bed. Rosalie was grinning from her pillow, surrounded by an array of curlers pinned to her head while Mila cozied on closer to Rosalie, keeping her eyes stubbornly shut.

"Oh don't be so lazy! It's Christmas! How many times can we honestly admit to spending Christmas day together?" Ana asked eagerly, as Gisele slowly lowered herself onto Marie's bed with her presents placed neatly beside her. She turned and gave Marie's leg half-revealed in tangled blankets a shake, making her Dutch friend grin lazily.

I tossed my sleeping mask from my hair and promptly sat up in bed, as a jolt of excitement hit me, though not because of what Ana was babbling about.

Tonight, was the Yule Ball. And I was going to be dressed to the nines in that beautiful ball gown that has been lying in wait in my dresser all semester.

"What time is it? It seems far too early to be doing this," Mila mumbled through closed eyes. Rosalie made a disgusted face, as she was hit with Mila's morning breath, prompting her to sit up and push her friend to the edge of the bed.

"You need a mint, ASAP," was all Rosalie had to say to cause the group of us to snicker while Mila abruptly cupped her hand over her mouth self-consciously.

My presents were situated at the foot of my bed, all wrapped with care, except for Marie's who stood out with her "creative" wrapping style.

"Stroopwafels! I love these," I said as I undid Marie's present to reveal a motherlode of waffle and syrup cookies with the familiar Dutch stamp. "You didn't need to buy me so many," I chided my friend as she went to untie my present for her.

"My mother insisted," Marie explained before holding up a box set of red lipsticks for blondes on the label.

"Oooh I want one of those," Mila said, eyeing the gift from under a complicated Korean face mask.

"Go look for your gift," I urged before sharing a comedic look with Gisele.

I had opened half my gifts before Jacqueline showed up, carrying unwrapped presents for everyone while subsequently balancing a hot cup of café au lait in her other hand.

"Where have you been?" Gisele demanded eyeing her friend's steaming cup of coffee. "You were gone when we woke up this morning!"

"Well you see," Jacqueline began as she placed her coffee cup on Rosalie's dresser, along with the various items in her arms. "I woke up at five, realizing that I had yet to get anyone any gifts-"

"Oh merlin, Jacqueline you didn't," I said through a mouth full of stroopwafel. Ana reached over and took one of my cookies, before waving Jacqueline along.

"Okay so where did you go? I doubt many stores would be open on Christmas day."

"I walked over to Hogsmead and banged on the doors until they let me in. No real problem," She said causally before turning to the mass of present. "I shall now distribute them as I see fit. Drum roll!" Jacqueline said with her usual flare as Gisele face palmed.

"Jelly slugs for Mila," she began, tossing a carton of the sweets to her unexpected friend, causing her face mask to go flying. "Ahh-"

"A nice set of ear muffs for Rosalie, as you are always complaining about being cold," Jacqueline went on, tossing golden furred muffs her way. Rosalie accepted them gratefully before placing them on top of her curlers, like a crown.