Chapter 22

~Saphira~

  Screams erupted throughout the village as the Banshees came.

  The Banshees and our kind were natural foes. Their screams were their bast defense. It reached such a high note that if we were exposed to it long enough we would die.

  Usually a Banshee would only scream before someone died.

  I covered my hands over my ears and pressed down as hard as I could, to try and block out their screams.

  I turned to see Trevor doing the same. Carmen was down on her knees trying to block the sound out.

  Ashton was doing the same and a part of me felt relieved when I realized he was blocking out the noise.

  Werewolves could easily block out other noises with one noise. All relief that I had felt drowned out of my body when I took a look at everyone else.

  A Banshee was standing over my grandparents screaming. Banshees were nasty creatures. They had white pasty looking skin and a sick yellowish color eyes.

  My grandparents were old and their bodies were weaker then my own.

  I took in a deep breath as I removed my right hand from my right ear.

  Loud high pitched screeches filled my senses. It felt as if my brain were going to explode right then and there.

  I did my best to ignore the noise as I had to help my grandparents.

  I flung my hand towards the screeching Banshee silently whispering a movement charm as I flung him away from them and into a nearby tree.

  I quickly put my hand back over my ear as my grandparents did the same.

  They each had lines of blood trailing down the sides of their faces from their ears.

  I knew I couldn't just sit here while those things destroyed my village and harmed my people.

  I was on my feet and cast a quick charm on myself that would block out my sense of hearing temporarily.

  I had to come up with something fast.

  I turned and searched for Sondra. She would be the new leader and she needed to be safe.

  I found her in a fetal position, hands pressed against her ears.

  A Banshee had grabbed her by the leg and had started dragging her towards their own village.

  The boundary between our villages was a few miles away.

  I ran at top speed towards them. The charm was already starting to wear off as I heard the screeching sound vaguely in the back of my mind.

  I pushed through it and advanced towards Sondra.

  The Banshee saw me coming and picked Sondra's body up, flinging her over his shoulder before taking off at a sprint towards his village.

  It was easier for a Banshee to cross boundaries then it was for a færy. If one of my kind were to cross boundaries onto Banshee territory their shrieks would easily defeat us.

  I used my heightened speed to sprint after him. I knew I couldn't phase, because I had no defense against the Banshees in my wolf form.

  I was catching up to him when I felt a sharp pain in my upper thigh.

  I glanced at it quickly. An arrow was sticking out of my upper thigh and blood was seeping out. I ignored the pain and yanked the arrow out, throwing it aside as I continued to run.