VIII

EIGHT

The Welcome Feast had already started when the grand, wooden doors swung open to reveal two rather contrasting Hufflepuffs

The Welcome Feast had already started when the grand, wooden doors swung open to reveal two rather contrasting Hufflepuffs. One with a large grin on his face as his deep, brown curls fell over his forehead and a freshly bandaged hand that was bleeding at the knuckles. And the other playing nervously with her hair and flashing a small smile in the direction of the Ravenclaw Table. Cedric waved Alfie over and the boy slung his arm around his sister's friend's shoulders as they walked to their house table. The Hufflepuffs all greeted the popular boy cheerfully and sent kind smiles to Lia. Once Alfie had taken his seat at his boyfriend's side and Cedric had placed a hand on his leg whilst sliding him a plate, the metamorphmagus looked towards the table adorned in blue. Catching his sister's eye, Alfie smirked before nodding in the direction of the Gryffindor table where a blonde boy sat nursing a bruised jaw with a sour look on his face. Mia broke out in a grin and she sent Alfie a subtle thumbs up which he returned with a wink before turning around to resume stuffing his face with sausages.

"So I'm guessing Moseley's face like a slapped arse and your bleeding knuckles are not at all related?" Cedric asked with a smirk as he rested his chin on his hand. Alfie took a sip from his goblet and kept his eyes trained at the wall,

"I have no idea what you're insinuating, darling." he said with his eyebrows raised innocently. Cedric let out an amused scoff and Alfie turned to face him, "Do you not trust me, boyfriend?"

"I just know when you're lying, Alf." Cedric grinned loftily,

"No one knows when I'm lying, Cedric." Alfie flicked his head to try and rid his face of the ringlets that hung there...to no avail, "That's something I pride myself on."

"Well I know a lot of things about you that no one else does." Cedric tightened his grip on Alfie's leg, "Like that birthmark right by your-"

"So, by the lack of a badge, I'm guessing you didn't get Prefect, Alf." Tikki smiled smugly and made sure the light reflected off of the silver 'P' pinned to her robes,

"Actually, I did, Tikki." Alfie reached into his pocket and pulled out a matching badge, "But I'm not about to wear it and look like a fucking saddo." he winked at his friend as she pulled a face at him,

"Oh no! You have to follow the rules now! How are you going to pursue your career of being a professional wank lord- oops! I meant prank lord." Tikki had a gleam of triumph in her dark, chocolate eyes as everyone laughed around her. Alfie flipped her off with a grin and she blew him a kiss.

"So!" said Dumbledore, smiling around at them all. "Now that we are all fed and watered I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. The full list of Mr Filch's banned items this year comprises some four hundred and thirty seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

Alfie smirked and looked in the direction of Fred and George who were both stifling their laughs behind their hands as they also looked towards Alfie.

Dumbledore continued, "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Alfie had to hold back a smile as he watched Cedric's mouth drop open in horror. Turning to the Ravenclaw table he caught Mia pull an incredulous face with her nose scrunched up and eyes narrowed to slits.

Dumbledore, ignoring the enraged shouts of the Quidditch players, went on, "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"

Dumbledore was interrupted by a rumble of thunder coming from the enchanted ceiling and the loud bang of the doors of the Great Hall. Alfie raised an eyebrow as a cloaked figure came into view, leaning on a staff. The man lowered his hood as a flash of lightning illuminated the scene. Everyone's eyes were trained on the mysterious man as he revealed his grey, straggle of hair and began to limp towards the teachers' table with a loud 'clunk' on every other step. Another flash of lightning gave light to his heavily scarred face and Alfie's eyes suddenly widened as he recognised the man. Alfie caught Mia's eye and they shared a look as they turned to see the stranger's electric blue and false eye scan the crowd. The man shook Dumbledore's hand and sat down in his seat before grabbing a plate of sausages and observing them cautiously. "May I introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher,' said Dumbledore brightly, into the silence. 'Professor Moody."

"Who's that?" Cedric muttered to Alfie,

"Alastor 'Mad Eye' Moody." he replied, his eyes still trained on the new professor, "He's an auror, and a bloody good one at that. He's offered Mum a job more than once but she always said no to look after Mia and I." Cedric raised his eyebrows, impressed,

"As I was saying," Dumbledore spoke, smiling at the sea of students before him, "we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

Alfie's jaw dropped. His mother and father had told him of the Tournament during the summer but he didn't think it had any relevance to...well, anything. Fred seemed to have the same thoughts as Alfie when he shouted out:

"YOU'RE JOKING!"

"I am not joking, Mr Weasley." he said, joining in to laugh with the majority of the hall, "Where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament...well, some of you will not know what this Tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely. The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry - Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities - until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued."

"That sounds fucking amazing."

"Of course you'd say that, Alf."

"SHH, TIKKI! I'M TRYING TO LISTEN!"