XXXVI

THIRTY-SIX

"Can I go to Diagon Alley to meet with Tikki today?" Alfie asked his parents as they sat in the kitchen of Grimmauld Place on a sunny morning in early August

"Of course, honey." Eloise smiled over her coffee cup, "Just be home before dinner because we have guests tonight."

"Tikki is welcome to join us if you want to ask her." Sirius added from where he was washing the dishes and Alfie smiled,

"Yeah, I will do actually." he gave his parents one last smile and left the room to go and get ready.

"He's doing better isn't he?" Sirius took the seat next to Eloise at the table. Eloise nodded and sighed deeply, looking into her mug and swirling the liquid with sad eyes. Alfie had only just been able to get through a whole day without falling into a spiral of grief over Cedric. Realistically, it had only been just less than two months since the young boy's death but Alfie's parents were shocked at how badly he took it. Though, they shouldn't have been really because they were in love. Their relationship was unconventional and Alfie couldn't forget the strange feeling he got when around Tillie, but they loved each other.

"I'm so proud of him for trying." Eloise commented, "I'm so proud that he didn't do what I did when Lily, Robyn, Marls and my parents passed away." she said quietly, saddened by the mere thought of those that weren't with her anymore,

"You handled that as well as anyone could in the circumstances, love." Sirius said soothingly. Eloise looked to the ground and shrugged her shoulders. Sirius took her hands in his which caused her to look up at him, "You lost so many people in such a short amount of time. Some of the people closest to you. You handled it amazingly...especially since you were alone" Sirius added the last part under his breath but Eloise still heard. She knew he couldn't help the guilt that overcame him when he thought about her having to deal with everything without him but she didn't blame him whatsoever.

"I think we need to work on brighter small talk." she said with a small smile and Sirius laughed softly,

"Not a fan of my earnest chat?" he questioned and his eyebrow twitched playfully. Eloise smiled as she leant forward and pressed a kiss to his lips. Even after twenty years of being together, it still gave them both butterflies.

~~~

Alfie was grinning the widest he had all Summer when he caught sight of his best friend's wild hair. Tikki hadn't seen him yet and was sat on a wooden bench with her legs swinging in the air. She was holding a small yellow flower in between her forefinger and thumb and there were more dotted in her hair. The colour of the flower was the same as her dress and Alfie's heart warmed at the sight of her - the brightness of her outfit matching her personality perfectly. Alfie made his way towards the bench and Tikki's eyes didn't raise from her flower as he sat beside her. The boy watched for a moment as Tikki touched the canary petals of the flower with a concentrated look on her face.

"Is there something written on that flower or are you just mental?" he teased and Tikki's head whipped up,

"Alfie!" she screeched and she threw her arms around his neck before pulling away and tickling his nose with the flower, "And to answer your question, you were right the first time."

"Ahh, so what does it say?" Alfie smirked and rested his chin on his hand as he plastered a mock-interested look on his face,

"That some weird bloke with light blue hair was stalking me." Tikki kept her gaze on the flower but Alfie could still see her amused smile,

"And yet I still made you jump out of your skin." he remarked and Tikki looked up at him,

"Flowers tend to ignore the technicalities." she said with a grin and Alfie's lips soon pulled up at the corners to follow suit. It had been over two months and the pair could simply pick up where they left off. Alfie and Tikki had decided to browse the shops for some clothes for winter and went for ice cream at Fortescue's once they had cleared a rather large chunk in their parents' bank vaults.

Alfie was laughing loudly as he Tikki recounted the time that one of her mums was convinced they were a couple. His strawberry and peanut butter ice cream waved dangerously close to his face as he threw his head back and the cafe was filled with the sound of his melodic laughter.

"I almost gagged when she asked if we were being safe!" Tikki didn't bother to quieten her giggles and a few adults looked fondly at the pair having fun.

"Oh, poor innocent Sylvia." Alfie shook his head as he finished his ice cream and wiped the tears from his eyes, "Little did she know, we tried that in third year and it didn't go well." he smirked and Tikki swatted at him with an amused smile. It was true though. Alfie and Tikki had confused feelings of deep friendship for a crush and had gone on a few dates, only for it to end in them leaning in for a kiss and headbutting - resulting in Tikki's first nosebleed. After that, they decided to remain friends and had stuck to it for the next three years.

"You liked Ced then anyway." Tikki's smile had turned reminiscent and Alfie caught her eyes beginning to glisten.

"I liked him since second year." Alfie said quietly and looked down at his hands, his fingers fiddling together on his lap. It was silent between the two of them until Tikki let out a sniff and Alfie looked up to see she was crying. He instantly leant forward and wrapped his arms around her. Tikkie's cries were muffled by his shirt and Alfie's brow furrowed in pain at the sight of his best friend so upset.

"It's been so different without his letters." she whispered through her sobs and Alfie nodded, "I catch myself wondering when his beautiful, light brown owl is going to show up at my window with a parchment full of his perfect handwriting, telling me about his new Quidditch skills and reminding me that I'm going to yours in a fortnight." Tikki lifted her head so her tight curls brushed Alfie's cheeks that were flushed from crying, "But then I realise I'm never going to get one of those letters ever again because he was taken from us." she broke down into tears again and her words were swallowed by sobs. Alfie bit his lip and tightened his grip on his friend.

"I know," he choked out, "I've been doing the same thing." he admitted and Tikki wiped her nose as he ran his hand through his hair, "Whenever Mia talks about Dean coming over, my mind goes to Cedric and I want to invite him round because I miss him. It's as if- as if he's just at home with his parents and I need to remind myself that when September rolls around, I'm not going to see him on the train and I'm not going to get his incessant rants about Quidditch season." Alfie shook his head and closed his eyes, two tears spilling onto his cheeks. Alfie hadn't spoken about Cedric's death with anyone except his parents and Mia who, whilst being helpful and doing their best to comfort him - which he appreciated, Tikki understood what he was going through because she was in their trio. It took Alfie months to comprehend but when they go back to Hogwarts for their Sixth Year, it's not going to be Alfie, Tikki and Cedric. It's going to be Alfie, Tikki and...Tillie.