LXXXV

EIGHTY-FIVE

it keeps saying all my gifs are too big :(

Alfie and Mia were sprinting down the Hogwarts corridors, their hearts pumping in their ears and their raven hair being blown out behind them

Alfie and Mia were sprinting down the Hogwarts corridors, their hearts pumping in their ears and their raven hair being blown out behind them. Harry had just dueled both Malfoy and Nott in the bathroom and ended up sending the latter to the Hospital Wing. All Alfie wanted to do was make sure that Harry was okay because he knew that the boy would never admit to needing any medical help. Mia on the other hand, had other things on her mind. Alfie knew this. Alfie knew exactly who was taking up his sister's mindspace. It wasn't their dishevelled-looking cousin who was sitting outside Snape's office staring at the ceiling, but it was the unconscious blonde Slytherin lying in the Hospital Wing.

"Harry!" Mia shouted as the siblings neared him, "What happened?!"

"Are you alright?" Alfie pulled the boy up and hugged him, Mia joining in on his other side.

"I saw Malfoy going into the bathroom," Harry's voice was thick and he refused to meet Mia's eyes, guilt swimming in his own emerald irises, "I decided to follow him to see what he was up to and he started firing spells at me. I didn't know Nott was in there until he jumped in front of Malfoy and-"

"Oh my Merlin." Mia stepped back and covered her mouth. Harry finally looked at her, a pleading expression on his face,

"I didn't mean to! I saw the spell in that Potions book I was telling you about and..." he trailed off, raking a hand through his already messy hair. Mia took a shuddering breath, her icy blue eyes leaking tears that painted lines down her rosy cheeks.

"I have to go." she whispered and ran off, presumably in the direction of the Hospital Wing,

"Mia!" Harry shouted after her and Alfie placed a hand on his arm,

"She's just worried."

"I didn't know what the spell did, Alf." Harry muttered, shaking his head with a frown,

"I know, mate." Alfie pulled his cousin into him again, sighing in relief at him being alright, "She's just worried." he repeated, squeezing his eyes shut.

~~~

"Where is he?" Mia's voice cracked and it must've been the urgency in her tone that made Madam Pomfrey say nothing and simply point to a bed in the corner, wardened off with a blue curtain. Mia rushed to it, taking a deep breath as she reached it, preparing herself for what she was going to see once she pulled back the thin piece of fabric separating them. She was too shit-scared to even think about the fact that it was the closest they had been in months, the first time she was going to speak to him since... Mia reached forward, carefully pulling the curtain to the side and listening to the scraping sound of metal on metal echoing around the empty room. And then she saw him. He was deathly pale, his white skin contrasting with the deep, red blood-soaked bandages wrapped all over his body. Mia felt another tear make the journey down her cheek and bit her lip to stop herself from letting out a sob. His eyes were closed so that his dark lashes brushed his skin like iron bars against a stone wall. His head was tilted slightly to the side, his pink lips brushing the bandage on his shoulder as though he fell asleep looking for someone to walk through the doors. Mia wiped her face and sat down carefully on the chair beside his bed, tentatively reaching out her fingers to brush the golden strands of hair that were creeping towards his eyes. That slight touch, her skin against his, was enough to wake him. His usually vibrant blue eyes were clouded as they fluttered open, gravitating to Mia's instinctively so blue met blue and crashed like waves in the raging ocean. After a moment Nott frowned, as though only just realising that waking up next to Mia was no longer something he should be doing.

"Why are you here?" he asked groggily, moving to sit up but stopping himself as soon as he felt the searing pain all through his body,

"Don't sit up." Mia whispered and Theodore looked at her, faltering at her glistening eyes, "I came to see you...I was worried." a single tear escaped the cage of her lashes which, as she dropped her head, fell onto Theo's hand. It was the only warm thing he could feel; that single spot was the only part of his body that wasn't freezing. Mia let out a muffled sob and a pang went to his heart but he was aware of the distant feeling of hope. She was crying for him. She came to see how he was. She was worried about him. "I thought you were dead." she wept quietly, not that Theo didn't hear every word. "I saw you lying there...so pale...I thought-" her voice rang through his ears. Her sweet voice, that sounded like how he imagined the stars would and made him feel how he imagined pure bliss would.

"I'm alright." he said...he lied.

"Why?" Mia lifted her head so they were looking into each other's eyes once more and he knew what she was asking. Thousands of words, songs and poems transferred through the space between them and Theo could hear every single one. But he just couldn't get them out.

"I have to." he whispered and Mia's lips quivered. Her hand lifted from her leg, wiping a tear that was making its desperate bid for freedom, before falling and landing on the bed. Theo's fingers twitched, yearning to reach just that bit further so that they could touch hers. Mia noticed, her eyes drifting towards where their fingers were just centimetres apart. She shifted her hand, making contact with his and, with that small gesture, all of those words, songs and poems were translated into the sweet and burning heat that sparked between their connected skin, preparing itself to turn into a blazing flame that would engulf the pair of them, mending their cracked hearts when-

"Mia?"

Dean Thomas. Mia's hand moved. Cold. All Theodore knew was cold.

"Hi, Dean." Mia said quietly, her cheeks pink and her hands hidden safely in her lap where they couldn't misbehave.

"Tillie said I'd find you here." he smiled at her, it only faltering slightly when he noticed who she was sat beside. Theo stared at him, not trying to hide the distaste in his eyes just as Dean didn't mask the triumph in his as he leant down, lifting Mia's chin and kissing her softly on the lips. All of Theo's pain numbed apart from the feeling of his heart ripping itself apart just after it had stitched itself together again.

"I should go." Mia said, standing from her seat and turning to Theo.

"No you shouldn't!" he screamed, "Stay with me! Love me! I need you, Mia! I can't do this without you." he jumped from his bed and clutched her...except of course he didn't. He watched her walk out of the room, her hand intertwined with Dean Thomas'. She looked at him just before she left,

"Feel better." she said, as though those two measly words were enough to fix him.

much sadder than i intended

but i aint sorry