XLII

FORTY-TWO

The Great Hall was rumbling with noise as the students applauded the sorting hat for its yearly song

The Great Hall was rumbling with noise as the students applauded the sorting hat for its yearly song. Alfie was especially excited for the sorting this year as it wasn't just going to be insignificant first years. Somebody else was joining Hogwarts and though he had a good idea of what house she was destined to be in, it was always a very thrilling thing. Professor McGonagall strode through the grand doors with a line of eleven year olds behind her. Though, at the back, was a girl who looked significantly older.

"Since, Miss Dubois isn't a First Year, she shall be sorted first." Dumbledore spoke from his seat and nodded at Professor McGonagall.

"Mathilde Dubois." her scottish accent rang through the hall and Tillie walked up to the stool, placing the hat atop of her pale blonde hair. It didn't take long but after a few seconds, the hat had come to a decision.

"RAVENCLAW!"

Alfie stood from his seat and applauded the loudest out of everyone. His heart skipped a beat when Tillie pulled the hat off her head and her eyes immediately found his. As she walked to her seat with her new house, she gave Alfie an enormous smile and mouthed for him to meet her by the tree next to the lake after dinner.

Alfie didn't pay any attention to the rest of the First Years' houses after Tillie as no one else really mattered. He spent the remainder of the sorting whispering to Tikki about the weird toad-like woman sat at the staff table. He recognised her from somewhere but he couldn't quite put his finger on it, he could only vaguely recall his mother describing a woman of her description in the past - pink bow and all.

"Do you think she'll be any good?" Lia leant over the table to whisper to Alfie and Tikki and the three of them turned to face the woman, taking in her fuchsia cardigan and matching blush of her chubby cheeks.

"If it's anything like her fashion sense then the answer to that question is a sharp no." Alfie curled his lip and Tikki sniggered into her hand.

Alfie almost fainted in relief when Dumbledore encouraged the students to 'tuck in' and, with all of the grace and dignity of his uncle, proceeded to stuff his face with steak and kidney pie.

"You know who I think should come back to teach DADA?" Lia said thoughtfully as she reached for the bread.

"Who?" Alfie said (after swallowing what food was in his mouth because, unlike his uncle, despite being hungry, he wasn't a savage).

"Professor Lupin. He was brilliant."

"Of course he was." Alfie grinned and flicked his ebony hair, "He was a marauder."

~~~

"That Umbridge woman was a bore." Mia said to her brother as they climbed the stairs to her dorm. Eloise and Sirius, being used to Alfie's antics and how often he 'accidentally' misses the train, wanted to check in on their kids and told Mia and Alfie to call them on the mirror that night.