XIX

NINETEEN

Every corner you turned at Hogwarts on the lead up to Christmas, there were ambitious boys and courageous girls asking people to accompany them to the dance

Every corner you turned at Hogwarts on the lead up to Christmas, there were ambitious boys and courageous girls asking people to accompany them to the dance. Mia couldn't count the amount of times she rolled her eyes as she watched brainless, teenage girls squeal as a smug-looking boy asked her out. The girl told Luna and Ginny that it was because romance made her sick and she wanted to skin every lovey-dovey couple alive but really it was because she wasn't asked. Well, that's not entirely true. Mia was asked by a number of boys to go to the Yule Ball with them and she was getting rather tired of having to decline them and watch boredly as they looked all embarrassed and tried to redeem themselves - to no avail, Mia still thought they looked like right morons. Mia was annoyed because she wasn't asked by the boy she wanted to take her. Of course, he didn't know she wanted him to take her. Though he should've done because Mia wasn't about to tell him now was she? That would be stupid because then he would know...but she really wanted him to know.

It sounds confusing but all Mia Black wanted was for Dean Thomas (the extremely attractive Fourth Year with the deep, brown eyes; smooth skin; and curly black hair) to stride up to her and announce that he wanted nothing more than to have her on his arm on Christmas Day. This didn't happen as Dean Thomas was a boy and therefore oblivious to Mia's feelings. That was why Mia was sat cross-legged on Ginny's dormitory floor with a box of chocoballs which she was stuffing her face with.

"Why is he so stupid?!" Mia fell back on the floor with a groan and popped another chocolate in her mouth,

"He's not stupid, Mi. You haven't told him you like him, how is he supposed to know?" Ginny asked from where she was on her bed and Mia sat up abruptly, staring at Ginny aghast,

"Does the way I don't talk to him very much and only smile at him occasionally not make it completely obvious?"

"No." Ginny deadpanned and Mia pulled a face,

"How do couples even get together?" she asked and Ginny shrugged, holding her hand out for a chocoball,

"How did your parents get together?" she asked, throwing the sweet in the air and catching it in her mouth as Mia broke in half-hearted applause.

"They were best friends for five years and then Mum used her abilities to look like Jamie and Dad admitted that he fancied her." Mia explained and Ginny nodded,

"Get Alf to do that then."

"What do you mean?" Mia frowned and Ginny's face donned an evil grin,

"Get your brother to turn into Seamus. Surely Dean will admit to his best mate whether or not he likes you."

"That's a good idea, Gin but there's one small problem." Mia crossed her arms as Ginny's grin was replaced with a frown,

"What is it?"