LXXXIV

EIGHTY-FOUR

"LIA!" a voice called across the platform just as everyone was getting on the train to return to Hogwarts

"LIA!" a voice called across the platform just as everyone was getting on the train to return to Hogwarts. Lia frowned and turned, expecting to see Nate passing her something that she had forgotten but, instead, her brother Benji was sprinting across the station. Her jaw dropped and Mia's arm curled protectively around her shoulders, an unsure look on her face as she looked at Benji's nearing form. "I thought I'd missed you," he panted as he arrived in front of them, a sad look on his face as he noticed the contempt in the eyes of the people around him. The adults approached them, Nate wearing an uncharacteristic frown and Eloise sharing a look with Sirius as they were reminded of the latter's relationship with his own brother after he ran away from home.

"What is it, Benjamin?" Mia asked, squeezing Lia tightly. Lia took a deep breath, appreciative that Mia had asked Benji the question because she was sure that if she opened her mouth to speak, no words would have come out.

"I'd like to talk to my sister." Benji looked at Lia, a pleading look in his eyes, "Mum and Dad don't know I'm here."

"They probably don't know Lia's here either." Eloise crossed her arms, an unimpressed look on her face, "They certainly never remembered to bring her to the station any other year." she huffed but caught the upset look on Lia's face, "I'm sorry, darling." she said guiltily but Lia shook her head and offered her a weak smile,

"You're right." she whispered and, as her fragile voice cracked, Nate took a step towards her and pulled her into him protectively, whispering in her ear to ask if she wanted Benji to leave.

"Lia, I'm so sorry," Benji reached out to her but stopped himself at the look on Nate's face, "I wanted to come and see you sooner but I could never mention it to Mum and Dad because- well, they don't like to think about you running away...I think it's because they're guilty and they want you to-"

"They want to forget me." Lia looked at her brother, her almond-shaped eyes blurred with tears, "They want to forget that they had a disappointing, Hufflepuff daughter that didn't live up to their standards." Lia wiped her face and smiled softly at Nate before stepping out of his hold, "But I don't care anymore," she stood up straight, her chin in the air and a determined look in her eyes, "I don't care what they think of me because I know what I am. I am smart and kind and, now for the first time in my life, I am loved." Lia cast a look to the family around her, her family, who all had warm smiles on their faces, "And I don't think I need much more."

"But I'm your brother." Benji's brow furrowed,

"So am I." Alfie stepped forward, followed by Harry,

"Me too."

"If you want to be a part of my life, Benji, I'm more than happy for you to be but-" she faltered, shuddering slightly, "I'm not going back to that house...to those people."

"And you're not going to." Sirius said decisively and Lia turned to look at him. He smiled at her and winked and, with that simple gesture, a whole different meaning passed through the space between them - he knew what she was going through, and he was going to help her.

"Okay," Benji nodded and Lia turned back to face her brother. He had a new look on his face, a look of respect for not only the people surrounding him who had accepted Lia into their family with open arms and loving hearts, but for the small girl herself who stood up to her parents and paved the way for her own future, "Just...write to me, okay?"

"Of course." Lia grinned and ran towards her brother, hugging him tightly and relishing in the fact that the warm tear trailing down her cheek was due to happiness, because she had a family.

~~~

"Hi, Gin, how-"

"Mia, I'm in love with Harry."

"Fucking hell, Ginny do you want to mull it over a bit first." Mia pulled a face at her friend and Ginny rolled her eyes, going over to shut her dorm door and pulling Mia to sit on her bed,

"Of course I've mulled it over, you cow," she tutted, "I've been mulling it over for five years."

"But you're with Dean." Mia shook her head, acting much more surprised than she was because she didn't want Ginny to know that she had figured it out years ago.

"I know," Ginny groaned and flopped onto her back, "I started going out with him because Hermione said other boys might make me stop liking Harry but-"

"Hold on a minute," Mia held up a finger, frowning, "You're telling me that you broke up my relationship because you were trying to distract yourself from your love for my cousin with my boyfriend?" she turned to look at her friend who said up with a very guilty look on her face,

"That makes it sound much worse than it really is."

"You're a bitch!" Mia laughed and Ginny sighed slightly in relief when she realised Mia wasn't going to punch the orange out of her hair.

"Are you going to help me then?" Ginny whined and Mia stopped laughing and smirked,

"Help you with what? I have my own problems, you know! My ex-boyfriend dumped me because he's currently working for the most evil, dark wizard in the world."

"Mia!"

"You're so lucky I'm so nice, you conniving, little slag." Mia wagged her finger in Ginny's face and she beamed,

"Thank you thank you thank you!" she hugged her and danced around at the same time. Mia pulled a face as she was being jostled about and managed to wiggle out of Ginny's grip,

"Yeah sit still and tell me what I have to do before I change my mind."

"You have to find out if Harry likes me back."

"Well, I wonder how on earth I'm going to do that."

"Why are you smirking? You look like a movie villain."

"Fuck off, ginge minge, you're ruining the cinematic moment." Mia swatted at her friend and cuddled further down in her bed, Ginny getting in beside her and passing her some sweets. The girls began to gossip as they munched on their Honeydukes merchandise. "So how's Ron doing since the whole poisoning thing?"

"Fine, I think he's glad that he and Lavender broke up, even if he doesn't know how it happened. Have they figured out who laced the mead yet?"

"Nah, Harry obviously thinks it was Draco but I don't agree...it can't have been them-him." Mia corrected herself and Ginny stopped chewing, putting her hand on her friend's arm,

"You still have hope for him haven't you?" she asked and Mia sighed, knowing they weren't talking about Malfoy anymore. "Mi...maybe it's time you move on." Ginny whispered and Mia squeezed her eyes shut, cursing the tear that was fighting to escape,

"I will." Mia said strongly, nodding her head, "I'm going to."

"I know you don't want to hear this but Dean still cares about you." Ginny nudged her softly in the side, "He always talks about you and I can tell that the love he had for you is nowhere near gone."

"What a healthy relationship you two had - both loving other people."

"You should give him another chance."

"Maybe." Mia hummed, internally cursing herself. Not because she was simply considering the offer, but because of her reason why.

filla filla chikin dinna