03

t j

i received a text from kira right after i dropped cyrus off. i waited and made sure he got in safely before i left. i knew he wouldn't have wanted me too but i did it anyways.

"went by to see you at work. you weren't there." was what kira had sent. little did she i had made up me having work just to avoid her. every time i am working she comes and visits me. when i do i have work i tell i don't and when i don't i tell her i do. it's a mind game.

"schedule got changed." was all i said putting my phone back into my pocket. i realized that the sun was already starting to set which meant had to head to the library for tutoring.

i pulled the door open to the library and was instantly hit with warmth. i hadn't noticed how much colder it was outside than it was this morning. i was grateful to finally be back in a place with heat.

i saw amber, my tutor, sitting at our usual table in the teen section. amber has been tutoring me since 7th grade when i finally admitted i need help. she's helped me a lot with coming more comfortable with my dyscalculia and just becoming better at math. sadly, she's a senior so after may she'll be gone and i'll have to find a new tutor. she's become almost like a sister to me.

"teej, there you are." she said, flashing her bright smile once she saw me.

"yeah sorry i was running a little late." i sat down and put my bag down while pulling out my homework and the quiz that i had just gotten back. 68% was written at the top. not my worst but definitely not my best.

"aw man what happened?" she said gesturing to my score. "i thought you had that topic nailed down."

"i did too. but i went over some of the questions that i got wrong and realized that they were mostly just silly mistakes." i sighed. i was done with making silly mistakes. silly mistakes for me is seeing the number 12 when really it's 21. it always seems to end up bad whenever i make "silly mistakes" especially in public.

"that's okay. let's work through them one by one and try to figure out an easier approach to them." amber grabbed the quiz and i scooted to the chair next to her. lots of people think her and i are dating or that something's going on between us so we always have to explain that we're not. all the guys in my grade think it's so cool that i get to hang out with one of the hottest seniors. little do they know, we're both gay.

after almost 2 hours of reviewing and finishing up my homework, my mom texted me saying she's outside. i hugged and thanked amber and walked out into the cold. i hopped in the car and we drove off.

that night, for some reason, i couldn't sleep. i kept thinking about cyrus. he seemed so mysterious and isolated and it made me wonder about everything that i don't know about him. which is a lot. damn, i should've asked for his number. maybe tomorrow i will or maybe i won't because that might seem too friendly for him. but maybe he needs someone to be friendly to him to bring him out of his shell.

i kept making up random scenarios of me asking for his number in my head until finally i shut down my thoughts and tried to sleep. no such luck. i glanced at the clock on my nightstand: 2:47 am. i really just spent 3 hours overthinking how i'm going to ask someone for their number. oh no. tj don't think into this too much. you're just being friendly. but then i started thinking about how cute his hair was and when he actually smiled, which was rare, my heart fluttered a little. i groaned realizing that i might be catching feelings. i just met him this is way too quickly.