Epiphany

The car ride back to the castle passed in a blur. Major Zaroon sat in the front seat with the driver while I was sandwiched between Rania and Izzy. Hania had, very appropriately, excused herself and had been sent home in Izzy's car with a contingent of guards for her protection. Rania was shaking and I held her hand to calm her down. I was afraid she was going to go into shock. Her hands were cold so I started to periodically rub them between mine. Between breaks, I was texting Uncle EJ, trying to keep up with the rapidly changing situation.

Ammi Jaan was hurt badly. Someone had tried to slit her throat and Ammi Jaan being Ammi Jaan, had fought back and had managed to cause significant damage to the attacker. Beside me, Izzy blinked trying to stop the tears from spilling out of his eyes. I leaned into him, to show him I felt the same, but my eyes remained dry and my hands steady. I could not waver now.

I managed to hasten my steps, trying to look as calm as possible as I stepped out of the car and walked across the foyer towards the staircase. I had not hated my position more. I wanted to run to my mother's side but being cautioned by my Uncle, I had to be careful. I could not be seen to be worried or flustered in any way. Only a few select people knew that Ammi Jaan had been attacked. We could not afford the servants talking to gather attention and the inevitable panic that would ensue. There was also the case of all of the guests that would be arriving for the wedding. Lengthening my stride, I barged into Ammi's room and paused in shock.

There were only a few times I had seen my mother being ill. Only a handful of times had I seen her with an ashen face but I had never seen my mother as helpless as she looked now. Not even after the death of my father. My eyes filled with tears as I saw the doctor replace the blood-soaked bandages on her shoulders with a fresh new binding. She looked conscious but in pain. Her eyes were alert as I approached her bed. Her head tilted as she reached for me with her good hand. The bastard had punched her in the face and her right cheek was littered with marks that would very soon bloom into bruises across her face. Her right eyebrow sported a slight cut which was held together by a few stitches.

The nurse gently lifted Ammi's hand to tie the bandage around her arm and she winced. Red flashed in front of my eyes as I fell to my knees.

"Elena, Rania", Ammi Jaan whispered. I felt a hand on my shoulder as Uncle EJ exited the room to give us some privacy. The door closed behind him. "Izzhaan" I felt him sit next to Rania. "My three children" she continued, still in that breathy voice.

"How bad is it?"I asked the doctor not looking away from my mother's face, feeling my anger rising up.

"Not too bad, Begum Sahiba. She will be well soon. Her arm movements will have to be restricted, we're arranging for a sling, but she'll be fine in a few weeks" the doctor answered. I looked up at her.

"Arranging for a sling? Is it being made here? Where is it?" I demanded. The doctor blanched at my tone but to her credit, answered in an even tone.

"The nearest hospital... it'll take some time. Right now we need the stitches to not be ripped apart. We need to have her under observation for a few hours"

"We're with her. You may wait outside. Both of you" I said moving to gently remove the hair that had escaped from her head covering. Ammi Jaan smiled great fully and my heart shattered at the sight. They bowed their heads and left the room. Uncle EJ would be waiting for them to have them sign a Non-disclosure Agreement and pay them in full. My beautiful mother, alone only to be attacked. Who would do this? She had warned me of the dangers and I had refused to acknowledge her warning. I had made fun of it.

Guilt crawled up my throat. I came back to her after five years and I could not even be decent enough to heed my mother's advice. She had been supportive of my self-exile, in her own way. She had carried on after Abba died so I did not have to leave my studies. I had cowered alone, shunning the world to sulk in peace. She had soldiered on. I felt like a coward, a failure. I had failed in protecting my mother, my family, the one thing father had always asked of me.

A single tear escaped my eye as self-loathing rushed through me. Rania clutched Ammi Jaan's good hand and kissed it. Izzhaan rubbed Rania's back to soothe her. I put my hand on her shoulder before leaving to find Uncle EJ. Enough of this, it was time to play the game.

********************************************
Guilt can be a powerful thing. Will this be the push that Elena needed?