In darkness, we look for the light

We walked back into the castle, our eyes on the floor, not saying a word.

"Hussein..." Rania whispered. He came forward immediately, concern etched on his face. Seeing him, Hania moved forward to comfort Izzy.

My heart ached as I passed by Zaroon. He stared at me, his eyes sorrowful, his gaze intense. I could not bear it. He was playing me the whole time. When would I stop falling for that? Where would I go? To whom? Uncle EJ's words kept echoing in my mind but I just could not let Zaroon's revelation go.

My headache was getting worse by the minute.

"Elena...Where's the Inspector?" Feroze yelled frantically running down the stairs. We all looked up surprised. Feroze nearly leaped down the last steps, wincing at the pain from his wound. Aunt Mamo followed right behind him, her shawl flying as she kept pace in her heels.

"What is it?" I asked, tired.

"I can't find Hassan. My son, I can't find him..."

"What do you mean you can't find Hassan!" A screech sounded from behind us. We all whipped around to see a woman dressed in all white, her hair in a perfect chignon, standing in the foyer, her bags and scared helpers beside her.

"It's not a problem Naila... I'm sure he's here somewhere"

"He's here somewhere? I want to see my son" she said walking forward and pointing a meticulously painted nail at him. Feroze flinched. Aunt Mamo chewed the inside of her cheek but still stayed silent.

"I... He's upstairs..."

"You said he wasn't there..."

"Hello to you too Naila. Yes, please come to my home. No, I will not offer you tea, you are to leave as soon as possible" I said, crossing my arms, my voice hard. She whipped her head to glare at me and I gazed at her calmly. When her tactic did not work, she rocked back on her heels and answered me.

"I came here for my husband and son. I was invited..."

"By who? Surely you know you can't barge into someone's home, unannounced. I would think that concept would be clear to you."  she blushed embarrassed. "Your father isn't here? I would think both of you would show up here to see my dead body personally. I do believe I am owed that courtesy" the blush darkened to an ugly blotchy color.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, her voice low. Her eyes darted towards her husband who stood in the middle. He shrugged, his face blank. "I just want to see my son"

"You're welcome to... " and that exact moment, Hassan bounded down the stairs, his face happy and full of excitement. Naila dropped her handbag and both parents rushed towards their kid. Aunt Mamo sighed in relief.

I gestured towards Izzy and Rania to follow me up the stairs. Hussein fell back, talking about lawyers and walked out the door. Zaroon and Hania watched us climb the steps. I could feel their eyes on my back. As we reached Naila and Feroze, I stood in front of her. She looked up. After staring at her for a moment, I looked at Feroze.

"Your wife can only stay here as long as I wish it. I'll see you at tea. We have some unfinished business. Oh and, do keep track of your son. By the way Aunt Mamo, I expected better from you... Don't let him wander off again" and with that, the three of us walked towards Ammi Jaan's room.

Leaving my guards outside, Rania pushed the door open. The whole room was shrouded in darkness. I sighed and we stepped in, walking towards the bed.

"He couldn't have done it" a voice called from the sitting area. We started and shared an anxious glance.

"Ammi Jaan...?"

"Come in, I'm here... I called for some tea" as we sat around her. Rania, near Ammi's feet as Izzy and I both sat on either side of her. Her hair was unbound and her makeup had been wiped off. She looked unguarded, soft. I relaxed and put my head on her shoulder.

"He didn't. I know it" Rania muttered, helping herself to a biscuit.

I closed my eyes and breathed into her scent. Her Chanel No.5 and something uniquely Ammi Jaan. Izzy got up and walked towards the small cabinet situated inside the antique ottoman. It was a relic from the 17th century. He pulled aside the gold fabric and unlatched the small cupboard. I watched as Izzy pulled out the emergency medical box and took out a couple of pain killers. He gave two to me and had one himself. I took another cup of tea and knocked them down.

"Why was Feroze screaming?" Ammi asked once we had settled in.

"He'd lost his son" Rania answered.

"Why was he screaming at Maimoona?"

"Because she was supposed to watch him," I said, a smirk ghosting over my lips. They noticed the tone and turned to look at me, a question on their faces. "I had to do something"

"What did you do?" Izzy asked.

"I asked Alia to take him out for ice cream. What's the one thing that would make you doubt your mother? The safety of your child. Aunt Mamo was supposed to take care of him. She was to keep an eye on him. If only she'd paid more attention to her grandchild and less attention to her schemes, this would not happen. He's a boy, prone to wander off. Feroze's trust in Aunt Mamo, hahaha. He'll think twice about leaving his son with her. He'll doubt what she'll say. This will be their bone of contention for quite a while. Honestly, it worked out better than I expected. Naila would not be willing to leave Hassan alone. Feroze doesn't want him with her... oh boy"

"You're..." Izzy began.

"Despicable? I know. Someone has to be"

"Brilliant" Ammi Jaan said, her eyes bright. "But wouldn't the child tell who took him away?"

"I asked Alia to wear a wig... he won't know."

"Oh my God Elena... that was below the belt though..." Rania muttered.

"It's politics baby"

"But kids...?" Izzy added, his voice unsure.

"I wasn't going to hurt him, Izzy... I'm not a monster"  He nodded, convinced.

"What do we do about Uncle EJ?" Rania said after a while.

"Hussein is getting us a trusted lawyer, we'll get him out. The court proceedings can go on, but he'll come home, soon. Rania, I need you to link up with Hussein on this" She nodded at my words.

"And Zaroon?" Ammi Jaan said softly. I stiffened.

"What about him?" Izzy asked, fighting with Rania over the last biscuit. I stayed silent so Rania had to explain the whole story to him. Izzy let out a low whistle. "Honestly Eli, I would ask you to talk to him, since Uncle EJ insisted."

"He insisted?" Ammi asked.

"He insisted and made her promise to give him a chance"

"He asked me not to fire him since there were dark days ahead" I corrected, bending down to place my head on my mothers' lap. She started to stroke my hair and I let the tears flow, safe with my family around me.

****************************************************************************************