Ex's and Oh's

I would like to believe that I was quite in control. Rania's throw had caught Feroze right in the face. The water on Feroze's face dripped down to seep into his collared shirt. I pressed my lips to avoid the smirk that threatened to escape.

"There, maybe that would help clear your mind and vision," I said. Rania huffed and crossed her arms. Danial looked horrified. I knew Uncle EJ was fighting a smile. I did not dare to look at Zaroon, that was one bridge I was not ready to cross.

"I guess I deserved that," He said. My mouth dropped open in surprise.

"You guess?" Uncle EJ muttered. Feroze looked at him and then gazed downward, reproached.

"Uncle Ehsan... Salaam (greetings). My apologies" Feroze had always carried a torch for Uncle EJ. When we were little we used to think of him as a pirate. Sailing across seas, accomplishing impossible tasks, going on missions and bringing back gifts. This remark had to sting.

"The others are waiting for you in the library. If you're ready?" Uncle EJ asked, his tone neutral. He nodded, his gaze hard. Rania led the way and we followed her to the main library. Feroze started to walk next to me. It was only right but I could feel several eyes on our backs.

"Will the southern leaders be meeting us tomorrow?" Feroze asked me. I tried to keep my tone blank.

"Yes, they all said yes to the invite"

"What is it about these New Revolutionaires?"

"They're a group of rebels... I explained that over the phone?" I knew our conversation was being heard by everyone who was walking with us. Not that they were out of the loop, it just felt strange to talk to my ex-husband in person, for the first time, surrounded by people.

"Yeah... you did. There was something else I wanted to talk to you about. Privately" I didn't answer, my heart going into overdrive, again. What was he going to talk about? After all those years of silence.  And should I ask him about Naila? And his son? Was that proper? Before I could formulate a strategy, we arrived at the library. Rania pushed open the door and walked in. We followed her in.

Ammi Jaan stood up to greet Feroze but did not place her hand on his bowed head. Izzy looked ready to murder him. I gave him a look asking him to restrain himself. He rolled his eyes but stopped glaring at him. Honestly, I was impressed Feroze had the nerve to show up here alone. Every person in the room, except Danial, looked ready to murder him. Well, maybe not Uncle Azhar.

"So... this is the lovely Hania. Apologies for not attending your wedding" Feroze said after a brief pause.

"You weren't missed," Izzy said his voice cool. Hania looked at him, horrified. I tried to see this through her eyes. The future prime minister, soon to be one of the most important people in the region, was being treated coldly and dismissively by us. Although, as far as I remembered, she hadn't liked him in the beginning.

"I trust the journey wasn't too bad?" Ammi Jaan asked.

"No... not at all. Akbarabad has changed" He said, still standing. Oh God this was insane. He was our guest. We had made our point. This was a truce.

"Yes, it has," I said gesturing for him to take a seat. He nodded gratefully and soon everyone found a place to sit.

"I can't believe how different it must have been for you..." oh no don't you dare go there Feroze. Apparently Rania had the same idea because she, very loudly, ordered for some tea to be brought in. Feroze smiled and looked at the ground. He was going to react to this... I could see it.

"Mother sends her regards" He continued. A ghost of a smile flitted over Ammi Jaan's face. My heart ached. He was the son of her beloved friend and now she could not even talk to him properly.