The party isn't over

My phone pinged. I ignored it and snuggled deep into the pillow. I could feel the sunlight streaming through the window. Another ping had me groaning out loud. Rolling over I reached over picked up my phone.

'Are you up?' the message was sent from an unknown number. Sitting up I focused on the message.
'Who is this?' I typed back. It was 6:30 in the morning.
'Zaroon' butterflies erupted in my stomach.
'How did you get my number?'
'Your Uncle' figured. Uncle EJ was a little too supportive of my friendship with Zaroon. Although, was it really a friendship?
'There are some texts on the phone you were given' right... oh. The mission. 'I'll wait for you outside your office'
'See you in fifteen' I texted back.

I bolted upright and quickly ran towards the bathroom. Ammi Jaan and Rania were still asleep. I splashed some cold water on my face and brushed my teeth. Eh... this was as good I could look running to my room.

"Whoa whoa... What's the rush?" Izzy grabbed my arms to stop me from running away. He was in a tracksuit. Damn it, he was coming from the gym.
"Uh nothing... official stuff"
"You're flushed"
"Washed my face with cold water. Pores and all that..."
"Huh... I'll accompany you. We haven't spent much time together" he followed me to my room and waited for me as I got ready.

"Makeup? Really?"
"No comments," I said, moving to grab my shawl. Was this too much? I checked the time. Crap, I was five minutes late. I walked to my office, my hair bouncing as I moved. Thank God, I had taken a shower before going to bed.
"You're very chirpy today?"
"It's our birthday tomorrow" I answered. He smiled. "Still won't tell me about my present?" He laughed loudly.

"Glad to see someone's having fun" Uncle EJ said as we walked in.
"Why are you not having fun dear Uncle?" I said giving him a hug. He looked at me and then at Izzy.
"Birthday"
"Oh" I stuck my tongue out at him. I avoided looking at the fourth person in the room. I could feel his gaze on me. The butterflies intensified.
"So what was the emergency?" Izzy asked sitting beside me, his gaze sharp.
"Texts... on this phone" Zaroon said, speaking up for the first time. "Apparently Jojo didn't have time to explain that she had switched phones" he turned the phone towards me.

'Report.'
'Event. Report'

"Effective" I muttered.
"We had my contact in the police put a trace on the phone. They've tracked it to a house in Hasanabad. We can finish this right now." Uncle EJ said. I shook my head.

"We still need to see who it is... we can't back out or let them know" I answered. "What about the DNA test?"
"They're still on it. Expect a report near noon"
"And the other thing?"
"No sighting"

"Now we wait for the call"

Uncle EJ called for breakfast as we settled down to come up with a new plan.
"What if we get someone to go conduct a search in that house?" Izzy suggested.
"Without a search warrant?" I said. He shrugged. "No, we'll do this the right way."
"By tracking their phones and conducting DNA tests...?" I narrowed my eyes. He raised his arms in an I'm just saying gesture.

"Do you think Salaar is prepared to handle this? He seemed pretty spooked" I asked.
"I talked to him. He had a panic attack. He didn't think it was going to get so intense. Someone had a gun?"
"I didn't see any weapons...?" I said turning towards Zaroon for confirmation. He nodded his brow furrowed.
"Well, you kids work on that... I have to go and check something" Uncle EJ said walking out of the room.
"Did you ask about the Port thing? Smuggling?" I asked Izzy.
"I did... two of my men are on it. Apparently goods are being smuggled out of locked containers. No idea where they're being sold" I put my head on the armrest.
"You think they're connected to the revolutionaries?" Zaroon asked taking a seat.
"I don't know. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe it's a taxation issue... or maybe it's just urban crime?" I leaned back and Izzy hit the back of my head.
"You have to calm down... everything's fine. Everything will be fine. You're doing great" he said.
"Like you've been any better? You were hyperventilating yesterday"
"I was scared to lose you" I widened my eyes in an innocent way. "Anyways... let's talk about the party today"
"The what?"
"It was supposed to be a surprise" Zaroon muttered, his lips quirking into a smile. I clapped my hands... excited.
"Who's planning it? What's the theme? Please don't tell me it's yellow, we look awful in yellow" I said grabbing Izzy's hand. He rolled his eyes.
"I look great. And Rania and Hania are planning it"
"And you knew about this?" I asked Zaroon. He shrugged. "And we're back to keeping secrets..."

*****************************************************************************************