Being Crazy isn't enough

Andaleeb stepped out of the shadows, her lips pressed in a firm line.
"I wanted some ice cream" I said, showing her the box.
She looked at her watch. "At this hour?"
"It's only 10, Andaleeb"
"It's late."
"Why are you up? Isn't everything wrapped up?" Zaroon said, trying to distract her.

"Aziz couldn't sleep, so I was making him a cup of my special tea"
"Is it the one with ginger and honey? With drops of lemon?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. "You kept my favourites in the freezer"
"Of course, that's my job" her job. Right.
"Well, I haven't seen Aziz in a while. Can I see him now?"
She hesitated, her unease reflected on her face. I sighed and looked at the ground. Must everything be a battle today?
"She hasn't seen him since his hospital visit" Zaroon said, taking the ice cream in his hands.
"I'm sure he'd love to have some" I added gesturing to the ice cream.

"I don't think it would be proper Begum Sahiba" Andaleeb said her voice filled with doubt. "It was extremely nice of you to help us, but we're still you're employees. It's not considered right"
"Really Andaleeb, technically, you raised me. Don't you think that was more than an employee-employer relationship?" My tone had sharpened slightly. She considered my words.
"Fine. You're just as stubborn as you were when you were a kid. I'm sure he'll prefer the ice cream to the tea" I smiled as she grabbed some bowls and spoons. Zaroon moved to help her as I watched.

He had surprised me today. Actually, he had been acting strange ever since the night we had come back from the hospital. Almost like he'd found me bearable. Even during the visit to the city, he seemed to have enjoyed himself, in a mildly stressed out way. Or he was good at his job, it could be either. Who knew.

We followed her to her rooms. Since Andaleeb was head of the household staff and the most senior member, she had her own set of rooms. I was pleased and relieved to see that they were nicely furnished.  Aziz sat there with his sister, playing ludo (a board game). They both stood up as we entered the room.
Saniya, a lovely girl of 12 with a mop of curls on her head and lovely brown eyes, jumped excitedly as soon as she saw the ice cream. Aziz tugged her hoodie to remind her to stay still.
"Begum Sahiba wanted to see you Aziz"
"It was very kind of you to help that day Begum Sahiba" Aziz said, his tone formal. I gave him a stern look.
"Don't use that tone with me Aziz, you never have. You obviously don't remember this, but I was there when you were born. Abba had taken me to the hospital to see Andaleeb" it had been the only time I had officially been outside the castle walls. I had cried for Andaleeb. No one could stop the crying so Abba had decided to take matters in his own hands. Abba knew how to handle any situation.
"Always the stubborn child" Andaleeb muttered in a fond tone, sitting on the bed as Aziz coughed, his face red from my scolding.

I sat on one of the chairs placed in the room and scooped ice cream into a bowl and handed it to Saniya.
"This is my favourite Begum Sahiba" she said sitting on the floor after thanking me for the ice cream.
"Really? Mine too. You have great taste" I said, winking at her. She giggled, her eyes shining as she put a spoonful in her mouth. After permission from his mother Aziz moved to serve the ice cream to Zaroon and I. I rolled my eyes at the formalities but I was in their section of the house.

"How are your studies coming along Aziz?" Zaroon asked, keeping the conversation moving.
"They're going well Zaroon bhai (brother). Classes start in September."
"What are you planning to do Aziz?" I asked enjoying the chocolate flavour on my tongue.
"I'm planning to join the army Begum Sahiba"
I looked at him in shock. "I'm not a studious person, I prefer physical activity Begum Sahiba"
"There's plenty of studying in the army Aziz" Zaroon said, his tone filled with amusement.
"I know Zaroon bhai but that's the only route I could think of" all of us laughed at this.

"And you approve?" I asked Andaleeb. She shrugged in a what-can-I-say-way.
"Mama wasn't happy after Aziz Bhai told her about the new revolutionaries in the army" Saniya said finishing her ice cream. I stiffened. "Please, can I have some more?" I nodded and reached over to give her some more.

"That's enough. You won't go to sleep with all this sugar. It's off to bed with you" Andaleeb said sharply to all of us. Saniya jumped guiltily and proceeded to walk out of the room.
"What do you mean they're in the army?" I asked ignoring Andaleeb.
"They've been handing out pamphlets. I went to one of their parties, that's when I got sick" Zaroon and I shared a look.
"Can I see the pamphlet? What did they say at their party?"
"That's enough Begum Sahiba" but Andaleeb knew I was stubborn. Aziz looked at his mother and then at me.
"We need to see the pamphlet Aziz" my tone had the desired effect. Aziz opened up his drawer and handed me a brightly coloured pamphlet.
"Thank you Aziz. I want you to come and see me tomorrow" I said folding it in half.
"Am I in trouble?" He asked, his voice small. I checked my tone. He was just a boy. A boy who I had held when he had been born. Vulnerable. Confused. Gullible.
"No Aziz, you're not in trouble. In fact, you might be the key to solving this whole mess"

I walked out, with Zaroon at my back.
"Begum Sahiba... Elena" I stopped. Andaleeb had not called me that since I was a kid. She ran up to us, her face determined and filled with worry and clutched my hands. " I don't want him to be involved in any of this... not in politics, not in anything"

I nodded, understanding her concern.
"Believe me, I wouldn't want that for him either. Please make sure Ali knows about this too. We need information Andaleeb, but I will never put him in danger... I will not put any of them in danger" I looked at her earnestly and patted her hands. She nodded at my words and let go of my hands. I stared at her as she left, her desperation and concern made sense. She was a mother after all. What if Ammi felt the same way? And to her, not getting involved was the only way to protect us? Abba had left this world before I could muster up the courage to talk to him. I could not do the same to Ammi. I had to know how she felt and she had to know how I felt. We had to become better at talking to one another.

"Why'd you stay?" Zaroon asked, his tone conversational. Figured that the only time the guy wanted to talk was when I was lost in my own thoughts.
"I was needed here"
"You never wanted to stay here" he said looking ahead.

"What do you mean? And by the way, how do you know Andaleeb so well?"
"I used to come here as a kid" he said, his voice lowering as we walked across the main hall. "I used to visit my father here, in the castle, since he was always so busy" a hint of bitterness covered his tone. " And Andaleeb used to take care of me till he managed to get free" a shadow crossed his face when he uttered those words.

"Oh. I don't remember you ever visiting the castle" if he had visited, I would have noticed. This whole conversation was entering awkward territory.

"But I remember you. I saw you in the west wing, for the first time. You were hiding in that corner of yours, behind Queen Noor's portrait. You were crying because you broke a vase" I stopped and stared at him. He was lost in his memories, a slight smile on his face. He paused when he noticed that I had stopped and looked into my eyes. "Your father came out of the library, with my father behind him and sat down to comfort you. You looked up at him like he was your whole world. You smiled and the two of you stepped out into the corridor to join us. You didn't even look at me..."

"Well to be fair, I was going through a traumatic experience" I said averting my eyes. He let out a short laugh.

I started to walk to my room not wanting to hear the rest. He followed, understanding my silence. We reached my room and before I closed the door, I turned to look at him.

"I'm sorry that I don't remember meeting you, but I do see you now. Good night Major" and with that, I closed the door at his astonished expression.