Realignment

I clutched at Zaroon's arm waiting for the castle to stop shaking.

"Where is everyone? Were those..."

"Someone attacked the castle." He confirmed, his arms around my waist. I stared at his jawline as he looked towards Elena. Slowly, the rumbling came to a halt and we breathed a collective sigh of relief. It had only lasted for a few minutes but I felt as if my whole world was coming to a halt.

"Check if everyone is okay... Ammi, Uncle EJ"

"Are you okay?"He asked, his hand steadying me. I looked into his eyes, they were filled with concern. My heart did a strange leap and I nodded, not trusting my voice.

"I'm fine...Rania?" I called out moving away from him. She nodded, her face betraying the terror she was feeling. "We have to go in and calm the guests down. We continue, as usual, we'll say that we have some foundational work happening which is why the castle rumbled. Heavy machinery and all that" the three of them nodded. Rania and I went to the reception hall, our fixes fixed in pleasant and warm smiles.

It was easy to convince the guests. We all wanted to be in denial. Acknowledging that something was wrong often led to pointing fingers and no one wanted to point fingers at the hosts. Izhaan and Hania made their entrance, their game faces on and everyone continued with the partying.

I caught Izhaan's eye and he nodded at me, checking to see if I was okay. I reassured him with my eyes. Ammi Jaan stood with Aunt Laila, meeting someone from the central provinces. Aunt Mamo and Farishta stood on the other side, having a meeting with the representative of the northern legislature. Rania and I stood in the middle trying to understand this divide.

Gulzar Mahal was founded by Muhammad Gulzar Saeed Khan, a Persian warrior. He had conquered the small fort from the then ruler, Vikram Singh. Vikram Singh had been an astute warrior and politician and had made alliances through marriage. Gulzar had decided to do the same to hold on to his seat. He manipulated and plotted to get his children married into the most prominent houses in every possible direction. Over the years, that practice was continued and as Gulzar Mahal grew, so did its influence.

The whole room was filled with first, second cousins and distant relatives. Every single one of them was in a position of power or affiliated to one. Seeing the two camps, the north and the south, had me feeling edgy. Aunt Mamo was Ammi Jaan's cousin, so she would not move against her.

"But Naila would," Rania said as I voiced my observation to her.

"You mean her father?" the notorious Kingmaker. Naila's father, Jamal, was known to manipulate elections in whatever direction that he chose. He had old family money and a lot of smart investments that he used to pull different strings. Rania nodded, her mouth pressed into a grim line. Aunt Mamo was here for Feroze. He needed support if he had any hope of standing against Naila's father and maintaining his integrity.

"Rania! It's lovely to see you. You look stunning" A tall man, dressed impeccably in a charcoal suit, approached us, his face lighting up with a smile. I recognized the features and guessed him to be Hassan's brother, Hussein. Rania smiled, switching to her hostess persona.

"Hussein, it's lovely to see you. Meet my sister, Elena"

"I've heard so much about you, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, "I said with a genuine smile.

"The pleasure is all mine. I must say, you look beautiful tonight" I laughed at his flattery and he smiled, all charm. "Rania told me you work at a firm in London?"

"Yes"

"Is it Hendricks and Smith?" I nodded, amazed he had remembered that detail. "Lovely, I've heard it's one of the best. Will you be heading back soon?"